Crack in Sand Filter...?

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-05, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crack in Sand Filter...?

I have a crack in my sand filter. It's on the bottom of the filter right next to one of the three feet for the filter. It's a hair line crack about 3 inches long. It's not very big, but with the pump on the water shoots out.
This happened last summer. So this year I emptied out the filter. I used sand paper to ruff it up a bit. Then used a platic-use 2 part epoxy to seal it. I used it on both the inside and out side of the filter. The problem is that after it dried I was able to peal some of it off w/ my finger. So, I am assuming it will not hold very long once under the pressure of the pump.
I don't know if I should just apply more epoxy and hope for the best.
I was hoping someone had an idea of a better sealant to use to bond the plastic.
Also, I don't have the money to buy a new filter....

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-05, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How old is your filter and who makes it? Most filter tank bodies have a pretty long Warranty period.

Old 06-10-05, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure. I'll have to check.
I bought the house last year. The filter cracked at the end of the summer.

Old 06-14-05, 09:25 AM
Duct Tape???

Old 06-14-05, 04:27 PM
curt o.
Visiting Guest
Is the filter fiberglass

if so a little fiberglass resin should do it.

Old 06-14-05, 04:34 PM
Don't modify anything yet

Figure out if this is a Warranty issue first. I know you want to resolve it fast (everybody does) but... get the information off the unit. The make, model and serial code and find out if you can get it taken care of first. Some manufacturers will still honor the warranty even if you aren't the original purchacer. never hurts to call and ask.

If not follow Curts advice since they are usually Fiber Glass and when pressure is applied they will flex and not seal with other methods.

Old 06-15-05, 06:03 AM
I forgot the name of the filter compnay, and haven't looked it up yet online. But, on the side of the filter it has a sticker that gives the model and name and also says "10 year warranty".
I have to look it up tonight. It alwats seems that warranties are useless. That somehow they'll blame it on my missuse of the filter and not cover it. But I call them up and see what happens....

Old 06-15-05, 07:04 AM
IF it comes down to doing the repair yourself, I would recommend using fiberglass resin and a small piece of fiberglass cloth. The resin itself doesn't really have any strength without the cloth. You mix the resin with its hardener, brush it on, lay the cloth over it and then dab on some more resin. You will probably have no problem finding the materials needed in any automotive parts store or automotive department, even K-mart should have it.

Old 06-15-05, 07:18 AM
Are you sure it is fiberglass? I thought it was plastic

Old 06-15-05, 10:09 AM
My recommendation didn't have much to do with what material the filter is, rather it relates to the better way of doing a repair if you must do the repair yourself. If you have remedy options through waranty, you should pursue that as your first option and avoid repair work on your own until that option is exhausted.

As an engineer, I'm saying that resins don't have much strength by themselves, you need to use a fiberglass mat/cloth with the resin for it to do much good.

If you are repairing it yourself, it may be just as much of an option to repair it with fiberglass cloth and resin whether the original material was plastic or fiberglass...

Plastic is a pretty broad term, and some plastics might be weakened by fiberglass resin as it cures (speaking in general) I would not expect that a plastic that would be selected for an application such as a pool filter (high water pressure, probably needs good wear resistance for sand and grit being circulated) it should be the kind of plastic that isn't going to turn to goo because it had fiberglass applied to it.

Here's a question: Is the crack at a visible seam?

Old 06-15-05, 11:50 AM
No, the crack is not on a seam.
I called my wife at home - the name of the filter company is Poolco Industries Inc. So, I tried to go to their website, and the "page could not be displayed". Also, I tried to call the number provided (973) 844 9500, and it sounded like I reached some guys cell phone....
But, I went to walmart during lunch and bought a fiberglass repair kit.
I'll let you know how it goes

Old 06-16-05, 06:04 AM
Good News
...So, I applied the fiberglass last night. I think it is going to work. I checked it this morning and it binded to the filter and is definitely not coming off. I apllied three layers of the fiberglass cloth.
One more question. Is this water proof enough to stop the leak? Or should I apply a few more layers of cloth and fiberglass. Or should I apply some epoxy since it now has something to bond to.
thanks

Old 06-16-05, 04:33 PM
curt o.
Visiting Guest
I would think

if you put the fiberglass coth on 3 layers and used the fiberglass resin on the cloth that you would be fine. if it were my filter i'd load it up and test it.

Old 06-17-05, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I'd say it should be just fine. I'd recommend pressure testing it with water before you put sand in... Water is much easier to drain than sand.

Old 06-17-05, 12:31 PM
I tried it last night, and it worked. Ran it for 3 hours.
There was one spot where it had a slight drip. Not a visible leak... A small drop would develop every couple of seconds. I'm going to put one more layer on, and then I think I should be fine.
Thanks for all of the help I never would have thought of using fiber glass

Old 06-17-05, 01:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fiberglass should be ok though. It probably cracked from having some water freeze in it over the winter. I usually tell my customers to put a garbage bag over the entire filter tank in the winter to keep out any water as well as keep debri out of the sand.

This thread has been edited.

No Ads, Surveys, Advertisements, Solicitations or Pyramid Schemes Allowed In The Forum Topics.

Advertisements within the forum topics or within replies posted or within personal signatures or including email addresses within replies or signatures is not allowed on this web site. Surveys, Ads, Advertisements, Solicitations to market products, services or to hire person(s) to perform work is not allowed in any forum topics.

Posting email addresses for others to contact to obtain information or to market products or directing anyone to personal web sites which can market products or solicit services, etc are not allowed. There Are No Exceptions.

Members posting any of the above or similar, anywhere on the web site are doing so in violations to the policy and are subjected to suspension or banning.

No topics are to be used for personal gain using any method. Allowing any of the above degrades the entire web site for all concerned parties. Read the Forum Policies at the top of this topic.

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 06-17-05 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Forum Posting Violation - No Advertising or Soliciation
Old 05-11-14, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 36 Posts
Thread is old ..Closed....

Closed Thread