Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

I REALLY need pool construction advice!!!

Old 06-10-05, 08:34 PM

Hello

Here is the problem: I bought a inground pool kit (18x36 rectangle with 2' radius corners and polymer walls w/liner) and wanted to install it myself. I had the excavation but with problems: we hit the perimeter drain to my finger system for the septic and we hit the water table at around 8 feet down.

By hitting the perimeter drain, one of the walls caved in a bit and wouldn't hold the angles that we were trying to dig in the hopper end. Hitting the water table made for a very mushy bottom which we excavated further and then threw in rock, also damaging another side wall.

Here is my question:

I was planning on using vermiculite/portland on the bottom if the excavation had gone well, but of course, it didn't. So, how to I fix this problem to bring the bottom up to finish elevations?

There are areas where a minimum of 6"-10" thick layer of material will be needed on a very steep side wall. I understand vermiculite shouldn't be poured thicker than a few inches.

I really really need advice. The pool project is on delay right now until I figure this out.

If I can call someone to give more specifics let me know, otherwise I will keep an eye on my email.

thanks

bob

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-05, 08:59 PM
Wink

Have you checked with code there. Dont you need an under pool ground drain in there if you hit the water table. I know we need on here for sure.

ED

Old 06-11-05, 02:24 PM
Bob, im kinda at a loss on this, as not being on site its hard to advise, i believe the best thing at this point would be to call in a reputable pool builder that installs, preferably that type of pool in your area with your soil conditions. it may sink you diy budget but thats better than pouring good money into a bad hole , [ if you will ]

lol steve