Pool Fixture sealant

Old 06-13-05, 05:45 AM
slamdvw
Visiting Guest
Question Pool Fixture sealant

What is a good sealant to use in repairing or replacing current sealant that is decomposing?

We had our pool 'leak tested', they found a couple between various fixtures in the pool ( discharge jets, light niche ).

The 'stuff' they used to seal the leaks, worked for about 4 months, and is composing to what looks like Laytex caulk.

Searching the 'net, has turned up little results. Everything from Epoxy to Automotive type RTV silicone.

The walls of our pool and spa are fiberglass, with steps and seating made from concrete. ( They appear to be coated with colored concrete.)

Thank You
Robert Avery

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-05, 05:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Robert, in all the fiberglass pools ive seen , the skimmer has a gasket on each side of the f/g shell with stainless steel screws sandwiching 9 holding0 them togeather, the return fitting , suction fittings use a threaded nut , they also come with a gasket, when i plumb spas i use no gasket , clean the parts good with acetone and use ge silicone seal liberally, you must allow the silicone to cure for 24 hours, not quite sure how they used the concrete steps inside the spa and attached them , altho the sheer weight should hold them in place caulking, again i would use silicone, should be used where the concrete steps mate to the f/g shell. the light shell also should have the gasket sandwiched between the inside and outside parts.

lol steve