building inground pool in ohio

Old 06-18-05, 09:27 AM
alandail
Visiting Guest
Question building inground pool in ohio - help needed

We are fairly new to this. We are planning to build a 20' x 40' pool, we've studied several videos on how to build a pool, but haven't actually ordered anything yet.

We're going to go with a standard rectangular design, steps on the shallow end, diving board, slide, steps to get out of the deep end. pretty basic stuff. Building ourselves to save money (it looks like it will cut the cost about in half), but the long term goal is to minimize daily maintenance.

We'd appreciate any general advice as well as specific advice on the following issues. brands to get, brands to avoid, places to order, places not to order, etc. would be appreciated too. Right now we're looking at nationalpoolwholesalers.com but could go elsewhere or even order different parts of this from different places.

- how do we calculate how much water the pool will hold? I came up with about 24,000 gallons if it was a constant 4 feet deep, so my rough guess is 25,000 to 30,000 gallons with a deep end, but I suspect there is an actual number based on the size of the pool.

- polymer vs steel? which should we use - the cost difference is minimal.

- is it worth getting a thicker liner? I've seen 20mil, 27 mil, and 30 mil. Will the thicker liners actually last longer, or am I just getting something heavier to install?

- standard chlorine vs salt based chlorine generator vs any other alternatives. The salt based chlorine generator looks like it cuts way down on maintenance and makes for a more comfortable pool.

- are the automatic pool covers worth the expense? We were leaning towards one, now we're leaning against it - we were told even with the automatic cover we'd need to retract it and put a winter cover on in ohio and even with that, the fabric needs to be replaced after 5-7 years.

- what do I need to know about pumps and filters?

- being in ohio, a heater is important. What do people recommend for that?

Finally, what should I do at install time to best keep all of this stuff from freezing in the winter?

Last edited by alandail; 06-19-05 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 10:18 AM
alandail
Visiting Guest
I was hoping to get some feedback by now - the most pressing questions are polymer vs steel, the issue of liner thickness, and the chlorinator issue. I need to order my supplies soon so we can have a poll before the summer is over. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Old 06-21-05, 07:05 PM
have never installed a vynal liner pool, however have mucho after the fact experience ,

some of the inherent problems you need to consider is, tearing, poking a hole in it, thus a thicker mill liner should offer some degree of added protection,

ultra violet inhibitors are a must ! with out it the liner will become brittle at the water line where it recieves the most sun .

a manufacturer with a good reputation and a good warranty would also be desireable .

the hole must be finished to there spects, if oversized the liner must stretch to accomodate while some stretching may be acceptable , too much can add to the failing of the liner .

personally i would prefer polymer over metal for the side walls as water and the elements can destroy these parts over time.

chlorine generating systems are the only way to go in my opinion, water feels silky, and you should not have to buy additional chemicals other than acid, and perhaps a copper based algaecide .

equipment is straight foward , plumb with 2 " pvc suction / 1 1/2 " return
purex whisperflow 1.5 hp pump , 60 sq. ft. purex filter , sta - rite maxi-therm heater 400.000 btu preferred. 1 1/4 " gas line required from gas meter to heater up to 100 ft. 101 to 200 ft. 1 1/2 " add a dedicated line in the middle of the pool side wall apx. 12 " below the water line [ 1 1/2 " diameter ]for a suction side cleaner, now or in the future .

as far as freeze protection you will either have to winterize or buy a control such as compool or jandy as they have a freeze protection built into the program . id suggest you ask around to see what other people with pools are doing in your area,

steve

Old 06-24-05, 08:55 AM
alandail
Visiting Guest
thanks for the input - I have a couple of followup questions.

Does Hydras Pinnacle have a good reputation? It says their is a lifetime warrenty. I must be missing it - I'm not seeing a way to search this forum.

Is an ultraviolet inhibitor something that the liner comes with, or is this something you apply to the liner.

What does a compool or jandy actually do as far as winter protection? If I have a chlorine generator, pump, filter, heater, would getting a small pool house and heating it in the winter protect the equipment? Does it matter if the pool house is heated (and if so, what happens if the power goes out)? Does the equipment even need to be enclosed?

Old 06-24-05, 06:58 PM
good questions, heres my take,

1. have no idea who hydras pinnacle is .

2. ultra vilot inhibitors are put in the liner material when made .

3. compool / jandy are name brands of automated controls , really nice
where you have a pool / spa combination utilizing the same equipment,
the control is inside the house , you can turn the spa on and monitor
the temperature, solar control is a built in feature, as is freeze
protection, when the temps. drop ro freezing the system runs the pump
for a given time , if you have a waterfall pump or spa jet pump it will also
run those pumps and with a spa will automatically rotate the valves to
run water through those pipes. can be somewhat pricey. v/s winterizing

4. if the power goes out, you lose ! piping, and pumps could possibly freeze
up, there by destroying them.

5. enclosing the equipment may afford some protection to the equipment, but not the piping .

lol steve

Old 06-25-05, 07:16 AM
alandail
Visiting Guest
thanks again for the input. It's a big help.

1. I think I posted that wrong - the company is Hydra - the pool kit is called Pinnacle.

http://www.hydrapools.com/pinnacle/panels.html

2. should I expect them to say it has the inhibitor then? The best I see is

"We know your pool liner has to do more than just look good through years of sun, water, chlorine, ultraviolet light, heat and cold, as well as everyday wear."

3. we're doing a pool only, no spa. But you're saying this simply runs the other equipment. Is there some point where it gets too cold for this to be effective?

5. why wouldn't enclosing help with the piping? I was planning to run the piping underground to the enclosure.

If we bypass all of this and simply winterize, what is involved in that? And would we still need some sort of enclosure, or is all of the pool equipment built to be indoor/outdoor? I would suspect we'd still do some sort of small enclosure for the equipment for aesthetic and noise reasons.

Old 06-26-05, 03:52 PM
having lived in so. Calif. most of my life , 7 yrs. in Arizona, ive not personally " winterized " a pool so others in the cold country please chime in here, however, its my understanding the pool is drainded down apx 12 " to 18 " the return lines are blown as well as the equipment and suction lines, some add antifreeze to these lines some don't . an algaecide is added to the pool and covered, best to add a small drain pump to keep the excess water from collecting on top of the cover.

sounds like the manufacturer adds inhibitors at the factory, however ask to make sure.

steve