Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Laars Lite 2 Heater Frustration-Need Help

Laars Lite 2 Heater Frustration-Need Help

Old 06-19-05, 10:31 PM
debl
Visiting Guest
Angry Laars Lite 2 Heater Frustration-Need Help

We have a Laars Lite 2 175BTU Nat. Gas Millevolt pool heater that is on the blink. The heater is not even 4 seasons old. It turns on and then shuts itself off. We had an "authorized warranty center" guy come out to diagnose the problem (at $85 for 1/2 hour).
He said the gas valve needs replacing (ran diagnostics and said it's shorting out) and quoted us between $400-$500 to fix it. This is half of the cost of a new heater!
After looking for the part ourselves, we found the part alone (retail to us) is $270. Again, an amount I feel is outrageous.
I called tech support at Jandy and had the guy on the phone say that 99% of the time it's NOT the gas valve that's the problem and he asked if the repair guy had tech support on the phone when he was trouble-shooting the problem (he did not).
I tried to get Jandy to cover replacement of the part (even though it's out of the 2 year warranty) and no dice. Another peeve considering they've lessened the warranty on newer heaters to just one year. It's like they admit they manufacture products that stink and then stick you later for outrageous replacement part costs. I'm beginning to think that's their main source of profit/revenue!
Anyway, now we feel stuck. If we order the part and do it ourselves and the warranty guy was wrong, we're out $270 AND we need to pay the warranty guy to come out again and for the actual repair.
If we just have the warranty guy come out to fix it, if he's wrong it's their loss, but if not I've got to pay half the cost of a new heater to get my old one fixed!
Which would you choose? And does anyone have any help or advice they could pass along? My husband is a darn handy guy (electrical engineer and could build a house) so he can handle lots of things.

Last edited by debl; 06-19-05 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-20-05, 09:30 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
several things , in So. Calif. the valve retails for apx. $ 200.00 and labor is $100.00 , if the tech. installs the valve and that is not the problem then he should remove it and put your original one back on at no charge as this was his error and not yours.

if you order the new valve and install it or have it installed and thats not the problem , you will not be able to return the valve .

this model of heater is very easy to diagnose have your husband post for procedure .

steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: