Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Hot Tub Shutting Itself Off & Back On Again

Old 06-29-05, 04:45 PM
PascoDoug
Visiting Guest

I recently acquired a used hot tub. It is the "Alexa" model made by Jacuzzi. It is a two person self-contained (portable) 115VAC 20 AMP unit with a 12.x amp pump.

Anyway... the day I got the spa home I downloaded the manual and began studying how to set it up properly. After acquiring all the materials I needed I thought I had done everything correctly but there apears to be a problem with the spa operation. But before I go into that, here's what I have done to prepare the spa for operation so far:

1. I checked the breaker in my main service switchbox as well as the conduit wire to make sure they matched the specs for the spa. The breaker is 20 amp and the wire is a 12-2 romex type line. From what I have read 12-3 is fine for 20 amp applications. Good so far..

2. The outlet in my backyard was a standard outlet, so I installed a 20 amp GFCI replacement.

3. I drove an 8' copper clad grounding rod into the ground about ten feet away from the spa and ran a #8 copper grounding line to the bonding bar in the spa.

4: Since the power cord from the spa had been cut and was only about 6 feet long (which was quite insufficient to reach the outlet from where I wanted the spa installed), I installed a plug on the end of it and then plugged it into a 12-2 water resistant heavy duty extension cord.

Now the problem:

When I plugged the spa in and switched it on, it seemed to run ok for about 5 minutes, but then it shut itself off. After about 10-15 seconds, it turned back on again. Then a minute or two later it shuts off again. It did this over and over again, so I unplugged it fearing that there was a problem that could damage the electrical system in the spa.

Is this shutting off and on normal until the spa heats the water to its normal operating temp? Or is something wrong with the spa and/or the way I set it
up?

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.

Btw the manaul for the spa is here if it might help:
http://www.jacuzzi.com/pdf/hottubs/A...USPORTABLE.PDF

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 06:25 PM
PascoDoug
Visiting Guest
UPDATE:

The spa only switches itself off and on when it is set to JET (Whirlpool) mode. If I set it to HEAT ot FILTER it runs continusously with no interruptions.

Why would the spa switch off and on with the jets running?