Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

$ difference b/w old 4kw tub heater and 5kw new one?

Old 07-05-05, 12:59 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Well, I got my Beachcomber 2400 hot tub up and running again. It was the heater element.
I still dont know what caused it to go, i just changed the water, that's it.(it was the original element 1994)

Anyway my question is regarding the wattage. The old one was 4000watts the new one is 5500watts, will there be a running cost difference at all?
i think it actually does heat up quicker now...

Thanks for you help.

Old 07-08-05, 04:17 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im no electrical engineer , however when you changed from 4000 watts to the 5500 watt element you are using 1500 watts more , which

1. should use more electricity , however heat quicker . meaning less time your running up the ele. bill .

2. what i would be concerned with is the size of wiring you have ,

a. to the spa

b. to the heater element.

c. what size breaker you have to supply the spa.

best way is using a amp. meter they snap around the wire without removing anything and you can see exactly what each piece of equipment is drawing seperately and all togeather , say your total amps, is 42 your spa is say 80 ft. from your main panel you have a dedicated line from the main panel to the spa using a 50 amp breaker , the wiring is # 6 copper your good to go .

lol steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: