cartridge to sand

Old 07-08-05, 02:58 PM
chickities
Visiting Guest
cartridge to sand

I have a 5 yr old cartridge filter on a fairly small inground pool, and they are disgusting. All 4 of them need to be replaced, and thats gonna cost over 400 dollars. I want to know how hard it would be to spend $360 on a sand filter and get rid of the cartridge hassel that you have to replace every 3-4 years. Has anyone ever gone this route?thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-05, 07:59 PM
Whoa Bro , before you ride over the cliff , what makes you so sure you need new cartridges ? try soaking them in tsp tri sodium phosphate overnight , [ obtainable from paint store ] this will cut the grease , body oils , rinse well , then put them in a large container of water with muratic acid 50 / 50 solution overnight rinse well reinstall them in your filter , start system and add 2 - 3 1 lb. cans of D . E . Diatomateous earth through the skimmer with the system running , you have bascially turned your cartridge filter into a D. E, filter . which is the best filtration available for pools .

steve

P / S Remember to discaard of the acid mixture carefully .

Old 07-08-05, 08:14 PM
chickities
Visiting Guest
I have tried cleaning them w/ TSP. The pool supply place told me they needed to be replaced. They are cracked and falling apart, and no one has been able to get the pool to hold chlorine for more than 24 hrs. My idiot ex husband closed my pool down 2 yrs ago without cleaning the cartridges and it looks like they're rotten(weird paper stuff comes out endlessly) Is hooking up a sand filter as easy as valving the pipes and hooking up?

Old 07-09-05, 07:51 AM
yes a sand filter is easy to hook up, as with d.e. or cartridge , one line from pump to filter , one line is return filter to heater if you have one , if not it connects to the pool return , the 3 rd. line is the waste or backwash line,

I still suggest a D. E. filter over a sand filter , as it filters better , period.
price is bascially the same , and as previously stated you can buy a large cartridge filter and using D. E. basically turn it into a D. E . filter.

you mentioned you have a hard time keeping chlorine in the pool, this is more than likely due to low conditioner level , take a water sample to your local pool store and they can analyize it for you.

lol steve