DE Filter Question

Old 07-09-05, 05:36 PM
DE Filter Question

I am having a serious problem with my water clarity and I tried everything and nothing seemed to work. I had a sand filter and I found that it was sending all the dirt and junk that I vacuumed up back into the pool. So I replaced the sand and the same thing happened.

To make a long story short, I just bought a DE filter. How much earth should I put into the skimmer. The guy at the pool place said 4 coffee cups, but I read somewhere that 2 1/2 cups will suffice...which one do I go with? How long should I run it? My water is still cloudy...the pH is b/w 7.2 and 7.6 and free chlorine is around 2 ppm..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-05, 06:35 PM
what size is the filter ?

what horsepower is the pump ?

how many gallons in pool ? [ don't guess ]

steve

Old 07-09-05, 07:02 PM
Pool size is 10,500 gallons--21' round

1.5 HP motor

DE Filter is Lomart Ultima 5000

Old 07-10-05, 02:06 PM
not sure by your post the size of filter , however most 1.5 hp pumps can 50 to 60 gallons per minute , you have a d.e. filter which is super, keep your chlorine 3.0 for now , ph 7.4 - 7.6 and run the filter 24 / 7 until the pool clears, when the filter is clean you will have to add d.e. to the skimmer while it is running, again im not sure of the size , 36 sq. ft. 48 sq. ft.
60 sq. ? ? so i can't advise the proper amount , [ ill try to find there web site ]

at any rate note the psi reading when the filter is clean and has the proper amount of d.e. then when this psi reading increases by 6 psi , its time to clean the filter again , regardless of how long since you last cleaned it.

when you get your water clear , you will need to run your filter a minimum of
3 hourss daily i would up this to 4 hours for good measure.

60 gpm X 60 min. = 3,600 gal per hour. 3 hr. = 10,800 gal

also take a water sample to your pool store and ask them to check it for conditioner level.

steve

Old 07-10-05, 02:30 PM
Went to the pool store and they told me that my chlorine is low and that most of the cloudiness is due to dead algae. They told me to try a flocculant and to raise my chlorine level...

Old 07-10-05, 04:41 PM
do to the fact you have a d.e. filter , you do not need a flocculant, if you have the correct amount of d.e. in your filter and chlorine in the 3.0 range and run the filter 24/7 it. will clear up guaranteed.
however you may need conditioner, have the pool store check that for you as your test kit more than likely will not test for conditioner .

steve

Old 07-11-05, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
The literature on your filter should tell you how much de to use, but 2 1/2-4 cups doesn't sound like enough. Mine takes two coffee cans of powder (it tells you how much to use in "pounds" and the two coffee cans worth is a close approximation of the correct amount for me).