Solar Cover = Algae?

Old 07-11-05, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solar Cover = Algae?

My wife and I just purchased a house with a pool. We live in San Diego and are extremely concerned about evaporation, so we purchased a solar pool cover. Our pool guy suggested that we need to remove the pool cover for atleast 12 hours each day to allow the outgasing from the chemicals in the pool. He said that algae grows if we keep the cover on for longer durations. I've not read similar statements on this forum, but it does look like many have favourable opinions with respect to solar pool covers.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether we have to remove the cover every day for outgasing?

If this were true, couldn't I simply perforate the pool cover, or leave some sections of the pool exposed?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-05, 06:15 PM
solar pool covers are generally translucent and raise the water temperature in addition they keep the heat in, good idea in colder climates , however in an area such as southern california, we find that after a few days you wind up with a bad case of algae simply due to the high temp of the water, algae loves heat,

after all , how warm do you need it , my recommendation , you dont need it in the summer time in calif, if you do want higher temps, remove it every other day and keep your chlorine levels higher than you normally would, better yet to get your pool on a preventative maintanence dose of swimtrine plus, which will give you added protection against algae growth .

steve

Old 07-12-05, 06:19 PM
Thanks

We did not purchase the solar cover to warm the water, but as a way to reduce evaporation. Since we live in an arid climate, I'm worried that we are going to be paying for a lot of wasted water.

If this is the case, can you or anyone recommend a good way to prevent evaporation? We've noticed that within a week we lose about an inch of water in our pool.