New pool owner, need help with pump.

Old 07-17-05, 09:41 AM
jake1978
Visiting Guest
New pool owner, need help with pump.

Hello,

We recently bought a house with a pool, and it's going downhill fast. The main problem we have right now is our pump will not catch prime. I've tried filling the basket with water, but it never stops filling, so I really don't know when to stop filling it. The pool water level is good. The only time i've got it to catch was when I was trying to vaccuum (which I don't really know how to do either). But when I turned the pump off to add some chlorine to the feeder, it wouldn't catch prime when I flipped it back on. Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Jake

Old 07-17-05, 04:43 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wrap a rag around the end of your hose, place the hold the hose in the skimmer, the hole closest to the pump [ if you have a skimmer with 2 holes ]
with the pump running , you should feel and hear the pump catch prime in a minute or two , some take longer,

if you are not able to catch prime in this manner , you may have a leak at the pipe going into the front of the pump [ that would be the horizontal one, or check the o-rings on the stem and cap if you have a 3-way valve also located at the front of your pump, you would also want to check, replace the motor seal. [ if you have never done this before pay to have it done and ask if you can watch. ]

steve

Old 07-17-05, 11:30 PM
jake1978
Visiting Guest
Stevie3x,

I got it to catch by shooting water in into the skimmer inlet with my hose. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: