Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

how to replace an old 12V pool light fixture

Old 07-19-05, 01:27 PM
ghstudio
Visiting Guest

The light in my 30 year old in ground concrete pool burned out and I removed the fixture to replace the bulb. All of the metal fittings in the lamp have corroded and by the time I replace everything, I might as well install a new light....it's still available (amerlite 300w 12V), although updated in design.

The old light is connected by wiring inside a flexible conduit of some sort into the niche. Of course, the pool is full of water and I don't want to drop the level. The new lamp will come with 15' cord which is long enough to get to the 12V junction box and still allow the lamp to be pulled out for relamping. My question is do I have to replace the flexible conduit; do I connect that conduit to the new light? do the new lights even use flexible conduit?,etc. I assume that I don't want water to get into the conduit that runs thru the concrete or shouldn't I worry about that?

I'm hung up on the mechanics of doing the job...I'm not concerned about the electrical side of this job....just how do I run the new wire to the junction box.

Can anyone help?

Old 07-19-05, 09:40 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the conduit , should not come out with the light , its secured to the back of the niche.

the conduit has water internally up to the water level of the pool , the conduit should be able to hold water, check your code as per total watts an what grounding is required, the circuit supplying the light transformer needs to be gfci protected, ive yet to see flex conduit to an in-ground light, is it galvanized, alumnim , ? ? non - metallic , ? ? this is an area i would be concerned with.

the light itself has 1 screw when removed you can tip the light foward and lift it up and out there should be enough cord wrapped aroung the light to reach the deck to facilitate re-lamping, there should not be any type seal, retainer on the cord inside the light niche , [ in the pool ] however ive seen all kinds of sealants around the cord, so don't be supprised, at which point you would have to partially drain or completely drain the pool to make the repairs.

steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: