Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

can u pressure test pipes after they are installed?

Old 07-23-05, 09:49 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can pvc pipes be pressure tested after they have been installed. i have a leak and don't want to dig up all the pipes to see if they are the culprit. i would rather pressure test them.

all the plumbing is installed and finish plumbed to the pump.

thanks

Old 07-23-05, 09:59 AM
P
Yes you can pressurize your entire pool system; you can put plugs in the returns and in the skimmer. If you can not find a visible leak, there are several companies that specialize in under ground leak detection; they can locate them within inches if you donít want to do a lot of digging.

Old 07-23-05, 06:28 PM
R
do you know how i would pressurize the system? in other words,,,,,, how,to,i,do,the,plumbing,to,make,a,pressure,guage?,,,sorry,about,the,commas,something,is,wrong,with,my,keyboard,spacebar.

Old 07-23-05, 08:10 PM
S
the simplest way would be to put a plug in the pipe that goes to the pump , otherwise refered to as the suction side , drill a hole tap 1/4 " npt install a pressure test gage , buy a air fill fitting from either an automotive store, or hardware store, where they have air tools and such, using a series of bushings increase the diameter to say 1/4 " and connect it via a T to where you have your psi gage, with air if you have a leak in any fitting below water level, you will definitely see the air bubbles, failed to mentioned you have to have some way to air up the line, do not go above 15 psi unless you have scd. 40 pvc , then you can go to 35 psi .

do the same on the return side plumbing.

steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: