Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

How to relace 3 way valve while pool is operational

How to relace 3 way valve while pool is operational

Old 07-25-05, 09:51 AM
rock8822
Visiting Guest
Exclamation How to relace 3 way valve while pool is operational

My 3 way main valve has broken and I am trying to find a solution to stop the water flow while I change it. The pool is an 18' above ground and is full of water. The handle broke on the 3 way valve and I can't fix it so I have to replace the entire valve. What can I do?

Old 07-25-05, 07:45 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
put plugs in the return fittings and also the skimmer, and while your at it install shutoff valves after the heater [ if you have one] if not after the filter in order to service your equipment next time.

steve

Old 07-25-05, 09:35 PM
rock8822
Visiting Guest
Thanks Stevie3x but there's one more thing...

Steve, the plugs sound good but my main concern is how to dismantle the 3way valve without water pouring out everywhere while I install the plugs.
At the risk of sounding really dumb, can you suggest an order of things and how I might proceed to avoid major water loss?
PS I have no heater.

Old 07-26-05, 05:27 AM
rock8822
Visiting Guest
Thanks Steve - one more thing

Originally Posted by stevie3x
put plugs in the return fittings and also the skimmer, and while your at it install shutoff valves after the heater [ if you have one] if not after the filter in order to service your equipment next time.

steve
My problem is being able to control or stop the water flow to even put on these plugs. Can you suggest an order of things or a way to proceed?
PS - I don't have a heater

Old 07-28-05, 07:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. shut off pump and also circuit breaker, so you are absolute sure the pump will come on.

2. put plugs in all the return fittings .

3. put a plug in the skimmer .

4. if you have any other fittings , where pipes are connected to your pool for what ever reason put plugs in them also.

5. now you can cut pipes, take the valve apart , whatever as no water can flow to your severed piped , providing you have all fittings plugged.

6. after making the repairs, reemove all of your plugs , turn your breaker back on and presto your good to go.

steve

Old 07-30-05, 10:38 PM
rock8822
Visiting Guest
Thanks again Steve

Thanks for the step by step Steve, that's what I needed. So I guess that either way I should expect some degree of water flow as I unscrew and plug pipes during the process, right?
My water is so green now, after not being able to use the filter that I can't even see to get to the bottom of the pool to plug the drain!
I'm getting frustrated and discouraged.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: