Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Help! Draining pool for 3rd time b/c its green

Old 08-05-05, 11:54 AM
jodi4bouys
Visiting Guest

Hi!
I have an above ground INTEX 18' by 43" pool from walmart, and I have had nothing but problems since I set it up in May. It continues to turn green no matter what, I have taken sample in chem. were a little low but I increased them, turned green again. After 2nd time I bought a vacuum and have used it every other day on top of running the filter all day, and some nights as well, I check the chem. everyday and try and keep them on the high side nevertheless I am draining it again for the 3rd time today. What am I doing wrong? Someone suggested that the pump may be to small, however its the one that came with the pool, so I'm assumming its the right one. I think the pump is 1/8HP and 1500GPH, my pool holds 2500gal.
Also we live in a VERY hot muggy climate, that gets sporatic heavy downpours, and the pool is partial under some trees, could this be part of my problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, it's costing me a small fortune to keep refilling it!
Thanks,
Jo.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-05, 03:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello, we just purchased an 18 X 48" pool this year and have been getting a lesson on pool maintenance ourselves. One thing that seems to help is to use a shock treatment once a week or so, depending on how much use it gets and with the trees around it you may be getting alot of leaves in it which may cause quite a bit of the algae you are seeing........ I agree with you about the pump, it seems that they are nowhere near big enough to move the amount of water needed to really get the water filtered out as good as it could be. I know the large above ground that my sister used to have had a really big pump and it really moved alot of water and effectively cleaned it regularly.

Old 08-05-05, 08:31 PM
S
if you havn't allready, you must add conditioner, [ cyanuric acid ] without it you cannot keep chlorine in your pool, 50 ppm [ parts per million ] take a water sample to your pool store, in addition to your regular chlorine / ph adjustments , buy some copper based algaecide Applied Biochemists , Pooltrine Plus follow the dosage on the label , I think you will find your problems disappear as quickly as they started.

steve

Old 08-05-05, 08:39 PM
Wink

With Steve here you both need the right mix of chemical.
Id say get a 4 in 1 test kit and use it. Should get you on the right road.

ED

Old 08-06-05, 04:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 627 Votes on 579 Posts
I think everyone else is correct in that you need to get the water chemistry under control. I also think that the inflatable easy-set pools are very high maintenance. The filtration systems are very inadequate. Most do not have a skimmer to remove surface debris and they do not have jets or intakes near the bottom to help keep the bottom clean.

---

I took a look at the filter for a small easy set pool. I was surprised to find that the filter was on the infeed side of the pump, so the pump could not pressure feed water through the filter. Water flowed out of the pool and through the filter by gravity only. The big problem was that the pump pumped faster than the water gravity flowed into the filter. It was drawing a vacuum in the filter chamber and sucking in air and only the bottom third of the filter cartridge was being used. It's the only time I've been able to take the top off a filter housing and not get wet.

Old 08-06-05, 07:46 AM
jodi4bouys
Visiting Guest
Talking

AMEN to which ever one of ya'll said these pools were high maintaince!! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read & answer my questions! Sounds like everyone agrees that I've got to get my chem.'s under control...going to buy the new items ya'll mentioned today. As far as the filter/pump goes, I'm lucky enough to have one that has a skimmer/filter cup that hooks to the top side of the pool that catches alot of surface stuff, but any suggestions on how to better circulate the stuff that sits on the bottom of the pool would be great as well, I did realize upon draining again that 90% of the algae is growing on the bottom in big fluffy piles...
well I'm off to scrub and hopefully start to refill the pool today. Thanks again to everyone for your wonderful words of wisdom to a "pool care moron" (who knew one needed to get a degree in chemistry prior to purchasing one!)
Jo.

Old 08-06-05, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Be sure to follow Steve's advice on the copper-based algaecide; they are extremely effective at alge control and are worth the higher price. This is the one we use:
http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemic...gaecide-Value/

Old 08-06-05, 09:48 AM
P
Filtration; any pool needs the water to be turned over and needs a filter that can trap small debris. The pumps and filters that you get with these pools are very week at both filtering and moving water. These pools come with a small pump and a small filter; they are small because they have to be for safety reasons. In a hot climate you need to clean the filter out all the time due to its size.

Old 08-09-05, 05:19 PM
jodi4bouys
Visiting Guest
Talking

Just wanted to say THANKS!! to everyone for all ya'll's advice. So far so good...I bought the chemicals suggested and bought a better pump, it's only been a few days, but so far it's staying crystal clear...
I'll let ya'll know if there are further problems, hope everyone is able to enjoy the last little bit summer has to offer.
Til next time,
Jodi

Old 08-15-05, 07:56 AM
C
Hi,
This was our second summer using our quick-set style pool, and we've been in MUCH better shape this year because I faithfully take water samples (approx every 3-5 weeks) to a local pool supply store and have the water tested. And in between, if the water is EVER beginning to look 'off' or 'cloudy' I bring a sample in immediately to the pool store, that way they can head off any problems at the pass. They're VERY helpful there & can tell me exactly what to do to get the water corrected, balanced & maintained.

This year, getting onto a regular maintenance cycle, the maintenance has been easier, but yes...these pools ARE alot of work. I think that lots of people get them thinking that they'll be easier than they are. Still, for those of us who can't (due to finances, or space issues, etc) do a 'permanent' above-ground pool, they're a pretty decent option.

Old 08-15-05, 09:49 AM
Wink

CarlyFC If you just buy a small 4 in one test kit about $7.00 and use it about every 3 or 4 days .Its a lot better than running to the pool store all the time.

ED

Old 08-17-05, 08:55 AM
C
I am testing the water with the kit every day for the 'regular' stuff of chlorine balance/level, etc. but I'm not an expert regarding chemical balancing...and I've found that the pool water can "turn" very quickly...so I think that turning to the experts at a pool store for advice is worth my 10-15 minutes every month or so!