Pool paint chalky?

Old 08-08-05, 06:37 PM
Question Pool paint chalky?

When we bought our house it came with a gunite(sp?) pool.

I am not sure when the previous owners last painted it, but I notice when I vacuum there is a cloudy trail by the brush which looks like the paint is chalky.

We have a can of "pool" paint they left and it is a pool blue by Porter Paints.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-05, 07:42 PM
epoxy paint chalks , the more acidit the water the more it chalks .

steve

Old 01-24-06, 12:06 PM
Arrow What's wrong and how to fix it:

The problem isn't necessarily the pH level of your pool or any one thing in general, but is most likely a result of an unbalanced saturation index.

Saturation Index is based on a formula and is based on a combination of Total Alkalinity, pH, Calcium Hardness, Temperature, and Total Dissolved Solids. Probably no one of these things is resulting in your situation. But when these factors aren't balanced properly, your water can become corrosive, which is indicated by exactly what you are describing. So you need to know your saturdation index.

I don't have room to write out the entire formula, and chances are you don't have the instruments to measure most of the above things. I would recommend calling a local pool technician (look in the phone book) and asking them to assess your saturation index and make a recommendation to fix your pool's chemistry. If you don't do anything, your pool paint, piping, pumps, heaters, etc. will continue to corrode.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about this.

Old 01-24-06, 04:09 PM
Thank you so much for that great answer. When they come to open it this next time I'll have all that checked.

Again thanks so much.