Pool Timer

Old 08-10-05, 01:31 PM
Pool Timer

I want to install a cheap pool timer inside my house to control the pump while I am on vacation. My power comes from the fuse box to a Ground Fault outlet mounted on the wall. The wire then goes through the wall underground and to a post with a three prong outlet on it. I now go outside and plug in the pump and let it run for about 2 hours in the evening and then unplug it again. I want to be able to leave it plugged in all the time, and let the timer do the work. I thought that maybe by just plugging in a regular timer used for x-mas lights into the ground fault outlet would work, but no such luck. I guess that I have to put the timer inbetween the pool and the ground fault outlet??? Any suggestions on what kind of cheap timer to use and how to make this happen in the next week. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-05, 07:47 PM
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...ept%5Fid=14150

This unit is smaller than most rotary timers, so it might be able to fit in your outlet. You'll have to check the dimensions. The most important thing to check is that the timer has enough capacity to handle the pump. This one handles 1875 watts, which is enough to handle most pumps. A 3/4 hp pump is about 1000 watts. Be sure to check the rating of your pump before you buy anything.

http://www.waterwarehouse.com/produc...53__all-1.html
This one appears to be weather resistant so it doesn't have to fit inside of your current housing. It doesn't give a wattage rating, but it does say it will handle up to a 1 hp pump.

http://www.waterwarehouse.com/produc...53__all-1.html
This one is wireless. They don't give any power ratings, but I bet it will also be able to do at least a 1 hp pump.

Hope this helps
Michael

Old 08-11-05, 05:13 AM
Very nice options, however all three require electricity to travel throught the timer and then out an addition plug built into the timer. I was hoping to not have to do any electrical rewiring, but I don't see that being the case. Thanks

Old 09-05-05, 07:16 AM
Tommy_BoulderCO
Visiting Guest
no need to rewire

Originally Posted by scoutdog
Very nice options, however all three require electricity to travel throught the timer and then out an addition plug built into the timer. I was hoping to not have to do any electrical rewiring, but I don't see that being the case. Thanks

Hmmm, none of Michael's (excellent!) suggestions would require rewiring on your part. Why install timer inside, unless you plan to re-program timer on a daily basis???

1. Obtain preferred timer, plus water-proof cover for existing GFI outlet
2. Attach timer to exterior post near existing GFI outlet
3. Install water-proof cover for existing GFI outlet
4. Plug new timer into existing GFI outlet
5. Plug pump into timer
6. Program timer to start/stop
7. Leave town, have loads of fun and forget about your pool....

In scenario similar to your pool set-up, I own Jacuzzi portable spa (500-gal). Without a timer, the spa htr, pump & blower are wired to 15-ft power cord as designed by Jacuzzi. Power cord plugs into elect outlet on 20A circuit. During Winter, thermostat kept htr & pump (lo-speed) running 24/7. I installed $15 timer like Michael's 2nd option which is programmed to run 2-hrs 3x/day.

Good-luck and enjoy your get-a-way!

Old 09-05-05, 03:51 PM
I use the same timer in the summer for my pool filter & in the winter for Christmas lights. I just plug my timer into a GFI outlet & plug my filter into that.
Been doing that for 4 yrs & no problems. I should add that my GFI is protected from the rain & weather.

Old 09-07-05, 12:37 PM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
Hello,

Since you mentioned your jacuzzi, if you don't mind I have a couple questions on that subject.

I just installed a pool and intend to put one of those square jacuzzi's sunk into the ground flush (at least so ledge is above ground, surrounded by pavers).

The location I am choosing would be about 4 feet from the outer wall of the home.

1. How difficult is it to run a water line and electrical line to the jacuzzi?

2. Do those self contained jacuzzis contain all of the necessary "on board" stuff for heating the water, etc.

3. Are there any special requirements on how to set the jacuzzi itself into a hole in the ground? I would presume some sort of lining, padding, framing maybe?

I am sure there are many other questions but for a start I would appreciate anything you have to offer. More if you have it.

Thanks,

Eric

Originally Posted by Tommy_BoulderCO

Hmmm, none of Michael's (excellent!) suggestions would require rewiring on your part. Why install timer inside, unless you plan to re-program timer on a daily basis???

1. Obtain preferred timer, plus water-proof cover for existing GFI outlet
2. Attach timer to exterior post near existing GFI outlet
3. Install water-proof cover for existing GFI outlet
4. Plug new timer into existing GFI outlet
5. Plug pump into timer
6. Program timer to start/stop
7. Leave town, have loads of fun and forget about your pool....

In scenario similar to your pool set-up, I own Jacuzzi portable spa (500-gal). Without a timer, the spa htr, pump & blower are wired to 15-ft power cord as designed by Jacuzzi. Power cord plugs into elect outlet on 20A circuit. During Winter, thermostat kept htr & pump (lo-speed) running 24/7. I installed $15 timer like Michael's 2nd option which is programmed to run 2-hrs 3x/day.

Good-luck and enjoy your get-a-way!