Inground Pool Indoor Leaking HELP!!!!!!!

Old 09-05-05, 10:44 AM
gregwing
Visiting Guest
Inground Pool Indoor Leaking HELP!!!!!!!

I have an inground, indoor pool. It has a linner. I have been here for one year. Over the last 6 weeks I have noticd the pool is loosing about 1" per day on the leveel. The pool is 16' X 32'.

It has never lost this much before. I used to fill it every 6-8 weeks, now it is every 4-6 days.

I have no idea where to start looking for a leak. The pool is 7 years old now.

I did have a problem with Chemicals for a bit. The PH was super low as the test kitI was using was defective. I bought a new kit and raised the pool PH fast (It was bown to around 6.6 for about 4 months I guess. Now it is at 7.2-7.4).

Any ideas on where to strart? I checked al lthe equipment I can see and fixed a small leak in the pump with a new seal. Now it looses more water then before.

Around my steps (which are about 5 feet wide and have 5 steps into the shallow end) there is some Silicone sealing peeling back. Also in the skimmer there is a small crack around the basket (about and inch out rom the baketthat catches all the crap) and this crack is sealed for half the way around the basket, and not for the front half facing the pool intake. I have dropped PH test drops all around these places and the dye doesn't seep as I can see at any of these places.

I am lost, and being indoor loosing this kind of water I don't want the house to loose it's footing and cave in. I also live about an hour from any major city in Canada, so there are almost no people to service these things and the cost is over $500 just to get them here to look. I f I can find theproblem myself, I would liek to.

Thanks

Greg
September 5th, 2005

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-05, 12:46 PM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you have a potentially serious problem.

Do you have 2 skimmers? If so, or even if not so, I would suggest turning the pump off and closing/covering that one skimmer for a few days and see if the cracks you mention may be the problem. If it leaks below the level of the skimmer then the drain could be leaking or a hole in the liner.

I would suppose there is some possibility about leakage around those steps too. Sort of have to rule out some things one at a time. Personnally, I think best case is it leaks to below the skimmer and continues. This would almost mean, 1...a hole in liner, 2....a drain leak, 3....leaking around stairs. At least those can be easily gotten to.

Anything you CANT see would be the worst case, like your plumbling lines from skimmers to pump.

Not sure I have helped any.

Eric

Originally Posted by gregwing
I have an inground, indoor pool. It has a linner. I have been here for one year. Over the last 6 weeks I have noticd the pool is loosing about 1" per day on the leveel. The pool is 16' X 32'.

It has never lost this much before. I used to fill it every 6-8 weeks, now it is every 4-6 days.

I have no idea where to start looking for a leak. The pool is 7 years old now.

I did have a problem with Chemicals for a bit. The PH was super low as the test kitI was using was defective. I bought a new kit and raised the pool PH fast (It was bown to around 6.6 for about 4 months I guess. Now it is at 7.2-7.4).

Any ideas on where to strart? I checked al lthe equipment I can see and fixed a small leak in the pump with a new seal. Now it looses more water then before.

Around my steps (which are about 5 feet wide and have 5 steps into the shallow end) there is some Silicone sealing peeling back. Also in the skimmer there is a small crack around the basket (about and inch out rom the baketthat catches all the crap) and this crack is sealed for half the way around the basket, and not for the front half facing the pool intake. I have dropped PH test drops all around these places and the dye doesn't seep as I can see at any of these places.

I am lost, and being indoor loosing this kind of water I don't want the house to loose it's footing and cave in. I also live about an hour from any major city in Canada, so there are almost no people to service these things and the cost is over $500 just to get them here to look. I f I can find theproblem myself, I would liek to.

Thanks

Greg
September 5th, 2005

Old 09-07-05, 04:19 PM
gregwing
Visiting Guest
That does help, thanks. It re-confirms my thoughts. I doubt it is th eplumbing as it has been good for 7 years and the plumbing will leak from day one, but that PVC will almost never spring a leak. I used to own a hot tub company and I never saw it happen and that water as way more problems due to the heat.

I think it is the skimmer leaking. The water hasn't gotten to below it yet, but it will with in a day or two, soI will wait and seewhat happens there.

Can you get a silicone seal that works under water? Or do I need to drain the water to that point?

Greg