Hot Tub Maint - How much should it cost?

Old 10-01-05, 01:20 PM
djm284
Visiting Guest
Hot Tub Maint - How much should it cost?

Hello,

My wife and I just bought our first house, and we have a hot tub built into the back deck! While we would like to be do-it-yourselfers in the long run, we figured we should have an expert come out first to check everything out, show us how everything is done, and how to maintain it.

We are wondering, what we should expect the guy to do (e.g., drain it, change a filter, test and add chemicals, etc.). And also, what we should expect him to charge. He says he'll give a quote once he sees it, but being that we know nothing about hot tubs, we don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-05, 07:11 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the water in the tub nasty? If not you shouldn't have to drain it.

As for chemicals I went to a pool supply place and spent $50 on the main things you need.

They were very helpful and even gave me a cheat sheet. The one thing I did not get yet was 'Suds X'. I will probably get it since people are getting in with swim suits that have been washed with soap. This stuff will get rid of the bubbles on the surface of the water.

You may not need to pay someone to look at it. Find a local dealer and talk to them. Service counter is very helpfull also.

Old 10-07-05, 06:55 PM
djm284
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the good advice!

Old 11-04-05, 11:47 AM
Cisco_boy
Visiting Guest
Hot tub measuring equipment?

Hello Pewee and others,

I'm a little in the same situation as the other person here before.
We bought a house and there is a hot tub installed into the house. Very nice... but I don't want to have troubles with it of course ;-)

I mean, on a level of water quality, what are the "must do" and which are the "nice to know" things about the water in it?

PH : must be between 7 & 7,6 (ideal = 7,2 I readed)
temperature : I putted it on 37,5 celcius (what is common used?!)

I found a website with those little meters:
http://www.waterrauk.com/pages/Water...cket%20Testers

the model HI 98130 can also measure
EC = electrical connectivity
&
TDS = Total Dissolved Solids

Is this interesting for spa's too? or do you guys know better (but still affordable) measuring tools?

many thanks in advance if someone with lot's of expertice & know how could help me ;-) !!

Bart

Old 11-05-05, 08:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just use test strips. Then add chemicals accordingly. I only check it once a week now that I got everything balanced out. Unless it gets used alot then I found that the chlorine drops so I have to add that.

I have found that you can over worry about it.