Building a hot tub from the ground up

Old 10-04-05, 03:24 PM
NewToSpas
Visiting Guest
Building a hot tub from the ground up

I just got my hands on a huge hot tub (just the tub and pipes) and I want to build it up from scratch. I dont know anything about hot tub's innards, but I'm going to learn. From what I have read, it looks like I need a blower, heater, 2 speed pump and filter. Now this tub is 7' x 7' so I figure I should probably use 240V instead of 120V. I also figure that I should probably get at least 2 horsepower blower and pump. And I'm probably going to go with a 100,000 BTU Natural Gas heater. Anyone with some knowledge have any advice?

Old 10-05-05, 07:45 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a site for parts that I found. They seem to have good prices on their items.
http://www.spareplacementparts.com/

I also recommend if you know the manufacturer of the tub then go to their site and see if you can get some info on what was in the original tub.

I don't know how the gas fired heaters work but if you go electric you can get a equipment pack that has all the controls with heater in one unit.

Good luck. This sounds like a fun project.

Old 10-07-05, 09:40 AM
NewToSpas
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any advice on the number of pumps and HP of each?

Old 10-07-05, 01:40 PM
P
Originally Posted by NewToSpas
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any advice on the number of pumps and HP of each?
Sorry I cannot help you there. I know it depends on the number of jets and how you want it set up.

I have 1 - 4.5 hp pump with 12 jets. My tub is 450 gallons.

You might want to look at some tubs that are set up like yours to get a better idea of how to set it up. Also keep in mind that high horse power is not the important part. You don't want a system that is so powerfull that it blows you out of the seat.

Old 10-10-05, 04:24 PM
NewToSpas
Visiting Guest
thanks

Ok, thanks. Anyone else out there have any more adivce for me?
I'm a bit confused about what I need. Some hot tubs have blowers and some dont. Some have 2 pumps and some dont. I'm just not sure how to set it up yet.

Old 10-12-05, 11:33 AM
T
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the blower. I had one on a tub I had a long time ago and it was virtually useless. When using it with cold air temps, the air coming out was too cold, so we hardly ever used it. Mass flow would be such that the warm air in the cabinet is consumed in just a matter of seconds, then you're drawing cold ambient air into your cabinet through the blower.

Well designed jets with selectable air mixing would be the way to go. My current tub has them and they produce sufficient "massage power" for our needs.

As to the number of pumps, yea it depends on the number of jets and the flow you're trying to achieve. My old tub had one pump, but only about a dozen jets. My current tub has two pumps, but I think 54 jets.

100,000 BTU gas heater would overkill, I believe. What do you want to do, keep the water just above freezing and then heat it up in just a few minutes? Pool heat pumps are only 100,000 BTU's and pool gas heaters are only up to 400,000 BTU (and we're talking for 30K - 40K gallons or so).

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: