Electrical question on Spa

Old 10-06-05, 08:35 AM
ctcjason
Visiting Guest
Electrical question on Spa

Ok here is the deal!

I am confused and very frustrated….. I am buying an 05 Bahia 50amp spa. I talked with the electrician and he said use 6-3 nm-b wire inside and 6-3 UF outside for the tub. I told the electrician I would purchase all the wire and run it myself to save money so I ran 75ft of NM-B inside and then on the outside I have about 25FT of UF in 1.5” conduit. For me that doesn’t know any better it looks good and seems like it should work just fine.

I started reading other boards and some say NO WAY on the NM-B and UF and to only do THHN and then you have others like the electrician and saying on that is fine…. What are your thoughts on it. I read the manual for the tub and it is “recommended” to use THHN but also stated as long as it not aluminum and is up to code it is fine….. So I am confused on is it “ok’ to do that and recommended to use the THHN or is it a must to use the THHN???

Please Help!!!!

Thanks So Much

Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-05, 09:40 AM
Jason what you have done is fine. There is one code issue where you can't run the UF cable inside of the PVC pipe if the pipe is connected at each end. You can only use the pipe as a sleeve but it must not connect to the pump or junction box. Other than that you are fine.

Make sure you have ground fault protection for your tub also. Ask the electrician and they will eplain this.

I am a electrician so this is not a guess.

PS. Since you ran pipe you could have got buy a bit cheaper if you would have ran THHN inside of the pipe instead of buying the UF. This is the only issue between the two wiring methods.

As for aluminum I say no way in any wet condition area. They don't play well together.

ENJOY YOUR TUB

Old 10-06-05, 10:21 AM
ctcjason
Visiting Guest
Hey there Pewee, thanks for the info! I also posted over in the electrical side and they say NO to the UF because of the non insulated ground? Here is the link to that thread Click Here

so now I am still confused, I just want it to be with in code and safe. My thinking is why have the UF if you can't use it? I really don't want to pull all my wire but I guess I would rather do it now before the tub is in place.

Old 10-06-05, 12:49 PM
ctcjason
Visiting Guest
Pewee I think what I am going to do is pull the UF out and get some thhn and put that in my conduit... Since the conduit is in the ground already and I am getting mixed signals I think that might be the best. The part that I am unsure of is how many wires I actually need to get. The manual for the tub shows a Red Black and Green. But some say to use also white as a neutral?

errrrrr....

Thanks

J

Old 10-06-05, 07:48 PM
all the tubs ive wired call for a neutral [ white ]

steve

Old 10-07-05, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by stevie3x
all the tubs ive wired call for a neutral [ white ]

steve
Sorry for the delay and I agree with Stevie. Open the junction box of the tub and see what wires are in it.

Old 10-07-05, 02:12 PM
ctcjason
Visiting Guest
Here is a link to a picture of the wiring block....
[URL="http://www.brainerd.net/~jasonw/tub.jpg"[/URL]

Old 10-08-05, 08:41 PM
Looks like no neutral is needed.

Very cool

Old 10-12-05, 10:48 AM
240 with no neutral? Is it using the ground instead? (I'm NOT an electrician, but I've purchased two spas and wired them myself, and they each called for a neutral and a ground in addition to the two hots.) Oh well, live and learn.

Old 10-13-05, 12:36 PM
I'm not an electrician either, but it seems like a few posts on other forums have comments that the 2005 code requires a insulated ground now, though I'm not sure if that was local or national. Also saw a lot of posts about using THHN now.

Nonetheless, I'd pull at least 6-3 with an insulated ground, I might even go 4-3 for that distance. That way you're covered regardless. Who knows, a few years down the road you might decide to sell your tub and get another one, and if so the neutral will be there when/if you need it.

Just my .02c