Do I need to replaster? :confused:

Old 10-09-05, 08:16 AM
WrkHrdPlaHrdr
Visiting Guest
Do I need to replaster? :confused:

I am buying a house that has a pool. In the bottom are a couple of spots where the plaster is beginning to flake. I would guess these total about 75 square inches total. Depth of the flaking appears to be approximately 1/4 inch. There are also some thin, shallow oval depessions on the steps. I am not sure of the pools age.

My question is.......what are the consequences of ignoring these for a year or two? How fast will the plaster deteriorate at this point? Is patching these spots a reasonable alternative or should I look at replastering the whole pool?

Money is tight, but I don't want to be "penny wise....and a dollar short"!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, WrkHrdPlaHrdr

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-05, 08:46 AM
Wink

Its all on you and the $$. Id say get it fixed and be done with it for the next 10 years . Down here they do the pools in whats called Diamond Brite. Get all the lose stuff off there then and acid wash. Then the new cement on it . This is what seals the pool its the water proof part. Fill the pool then as you back out of it. Here it runs around $1900 for a 15X30 pool to have them do a resurfacing job of the whole pool with the diamond Brite.

ED

Old 10-09-05, 09:38 AM
WrkHrdPlaHrdr
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Its all on you and the $$. Id say get it fixed and be done with it for the next 10 years . Down here they do the pools in whats called Diamond Brite. Get all the lose stuff off there then and acid wash. Then the new cement on it . This is what seals the pool its the water proof part. Fill the pool then as you back out of it. Here it runs around $1900 for a 15X30 pool to have them do a resurfacing job of the whole pool with the diamond Brite.

ED
Thanks Ed! I am considering resurfacing.....Id just like to delay it a little while.
If I can avoid any major consequences.
I really like your quote about "your mistakes". I have a little saying..."I learn something almost every day............if I'm paying attention!"
Take Care, Wrk

Old 10-12-05, 10:41 AM
If you haven't signed the contract yet, put in a pool inspection clause. I'm sure who ever inspects it will recommend resurfacing and then negotiate a home price reduction, or have the seller do it before closing.

Old 10-19-05, 01:30 PM
Texcowboy
Visiting Guest
I've gotta agree with Tom about letting the seller fix it. I not, a less expensive fix is to chisle out the damaged area, clean it with a diluted acid wash then rinse really well. Patch it then paint the pool. Wait 4 or 5 years then instead of repainting, resurface the entire pool.

Old 10-19-05, 01:42 PM
Wink

For sure dont paint the pool or you cant resurface it .Till you have the whole thing sand blasted. If its not leaking bad at the bad spots let it go till you have the $$$$ Or write it up so they pay to fix it when you buy the home.

ED

Old 10-21-05, 01:31 PM
Texcowboy
Visiting Guest
Ed's right about just resurfacing. I usually take off the old plaster and totally redo it. Paint comes off with the plaster. Not everyone does this, and it is a totally viable option to just resurface.