Building a Concrete Hot Tub from Scratch

Old 10-17-05, 09:02 AM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
Building a Concrete Hot Tub from Scratch

Appreciate some direction from anyone here regarding materials for building a hot tub.

I am in what I call the "research and development" phase for designing and building my own. I will have later questions regarding plumping, heating, etc but my focus for this post is the inside core of a cement style tub.

I intend to do this out doors, dig down into some pretty solid ground (lots of clay in maryland) and begin shaping something like a rectangular tub with benches on either side.

First question: Assuming ground is solid is it ok to use the ground as the ledge for the seating?

If not then I would dig the entire thing down, forming a rectangular hole and begin building up with cinder blocks, fill with cement, cap, pour flooring between them (with nececcessary drain already below).

Second question: Is it sound to "form" the tub as mentioned above with cinder blocks? If yes, should I FILL them with cement or mortar them together and fill with foam insulation?

Third question: Insulation in general. Any ideas, recommendations?

Fourth question: And perhaps most important. Assuming all above is sound design in forming the inner shell, what material do I use to line and make water proof, giving the bluish hue of a conventional tub/pool?

Since my home previously had an indoor jacuzzi I found all of the components below the floor (filter and pump and jet thing, minus heat) and they appear to be in good order. In reading some of the info here, I will check HP, etc so may just need heat.

I intend to dig hole large enough to accomodate necessary plumbing, locating hot tub just a few feet outside a basement window, and relocate electrical line that was already installed specifically for tub. Initial plan is to modify window to acommodate plumbing lines, etc so I can have the pump and everything based in the basement.

Apologies for making this long but would appreciate any comments on what I've said above along with recommendations on lines sizes, such as jets, drains, etc. I assume PVC even for jets? Probably an 3/4 to an inch?

Thanks ahead.

Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-07, 10:13 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
concrete hot tub

Eric,
Did you ever do your concrete hot tub.
I'm interested in doing one.
Advise.

Kirk

Old 11-26-07, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
See my answers in your message text:

Originally Posted by kirkeric View Post
Appreciate some direction from anyone here regarding materials for building a hot tub.

I am in what I call the "research and development" phase for designing and building my own. I will have later questions regarding plumping, heating, etc but my focus for this post is the inside core of a cement style tub.

I intend to do this out doors, dig down into some pretty solid ground (lots of clay in maryland) and begin shaping something like a rectangular tub with benches on either side.

First question: Assuming ground is solid is it ok to use the ground as the ledge for the seating? Yes it is ok to sculpt the dirt for the seats or lounger.

If not then I would dig the entire thing down, forming a[/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]rectangular hole and begin building up with cinder blocks, fill with cement, cap, pour flooring between them (with nececcessary drain already below).

Second question: Is it sound to "form" the tub as mentioned above with cinder blocks? If yes, should I FILL them with cement or mortar them together and fill with foam insulation? NO need to use blocks you will use steel to form the shell and bond beam, then use a spray gunite or concrete to construct shell.

Third question: Insulation in general. Any ideas, recommendations? There won't be a way to insulate since it will be in ground.

Fourth question: And perhaps most important. Assuming all above is sound design in forming the inner shell, what material do I use to line and make water proof, giving the bluish hue of a conventional tub/pool? After the gunite/concrete you will come and put about a 1/4" plaster to give smooth waterproof surface.

Since my home previously had an indoor jacuzzi I found all of the components below the floor (filter and pump and jet thing, minus heat) and they appear to be in good order. In reading some of the info here, I will check HP, etc so may just need heat.

I intend to dig hole large enough to accomodate necessary plumbing, locating hot tub just a few feet outside a basement window, and relocate electrical line that was already installed specifically for tub. Initial plan is to modify window to acommodate plumbing lines, etc so I can have the pump and everything based in the basement.

Apologies for making this long but would appreciate any comments on what I've said above along with recommendations on lines sizes, such as jets, drains, etc. I assume PVC even for jets? Probably an 3/4 to an inch?

Depends on how many jets you want and what kind of jets you plan to use. I would use 2" from pump to tub then use a 1" manifold and 1" flex plumbing if you are going to put a lot of action in the tub. Need to know what your intentions are.

Thanks ahead.

Eric