Do it yourself Gunite. Anyone know how?

Old 10-18-05, 12:50 PM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
Do it yourself Gunite. Anyone know how?

Does anyone know of a way to apply gunite by hand or some method for the average homeowner to use?

I've listed a thread about building a gunite hot tub from scratch but have had no bites so thought I might split this up into manageable pieces.

Appreciate any advice on gunite.

Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-05, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by kirkeric
Does anyone know of a way to apply gunite by hand or some method for the average homeowner to use?

I've listed a thread about building a gunite hot tub from scratch but have had no bites so thought I might split this up into manageable pieces.

Appreciate any advice on gunite.

Eric

I did a little research on this and it don't look like it is homeowner friendly. Looks like you need a machine that can spray crete. I doubt you will find that at a local rental place. Good luck tho. Sorry I could not help.

Old 10-19-05, 06:42 AM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
Appreciate your response and you are right. Nobody rents these machines for sure. I have moved on from this now and found a much cleaner suitable way - friberglass cloth, do it yourself. I think this will work easily.

Eric

Originally Posted by pewee
I did a little research on this and it don't look like it is homeowner friendly. Looks like you need a machine that can spray crete. I doubt you will find that at a local rental place. Good luck tho. Sorry I could not help.

Old 10-19-05, 12:55 PM
Texcowboy
Visiting Guest
Gunite

Gunite is the mix of concrete. It is 7 sack grout (no rocks). You can hand stack gunite, just have alot of help. For a hot tub, dig the hole, plumb with inlet pipes and drain pipes and possibly a skimmer. You must use reenforcing steel. I prefer 3/8 rebar on one foot centers. use your drain sump as a bottom grade, and dump the grout into to hole. Shape the walls and seat using a flat shovel. Gunite won't smooth out like deck or side walk concrete. You can finish this with fiberglass. Hope this helps.

Old 10-20-05, 04:11 AM
kirkeric
Visiting Guest
Thanks, this may renew my interest some. What is 7 sack grout? Is it a type of grout? So let's say I dig, lay rebar, plumbing, etc. This stuff is pliable and stiff enough to work up the walls. It must take one heck of a lot I am sure. Recommendations on thickness? One final question. If I finish with fiber glass, would I coat that with a gelcoat? Well maybe two final questions. Can I forego the fiberglass and cover the entire gunite shell with plaster like a regular pool? I've done research on that and seems it would be more durable than the fiberglass, gel coat stuff which I am hearing will blister in time.
Thanks,
Eric

Originally Posted by Texcowboy
Gunite is the mix of concrete. It is 7 sack grout (no rocks). You can hand stack gunite, just have alot of help. For a hot tub, dig the hole, plumb with inlet pipes and drain pipes and possibly a skimmer. You must use reenforcing steel. I prefer 3/8 rebar on one foot centers. use your drain sump as a bottom grade, and dump the grout into to hole. Shape the walls and seat using a flat shovel. Gunite won't smooth out like deck or side walk concrete. You can finish this with fiberglass. Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-05, 01:25 PM
Texcowboy
Visiting Guest
7 sack grout is 7 sacks of Portland cement per yard with the rest sand. I reccommend at least 8" floor and 8-12" walls. You can form your steps and seats with the gunite. To stack it like this it needs a very small slump (pretty dry) and throw it, or fling it pretty hard to stick on the walls. I would recommend either plaster like a pool with marble dust or for a slicker finish brown coat plaster (2 portland 1 masonary and 6 sand) then paint. You really ought to tile the water line for ease in cleaning. You can also tile part or all of the seats.
I am building my bathtub like this.