Inground Pool Leak

Old 10-23-05, 09:02 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Inground Pool Leak

I have an inground pool that is leaking. I have checked all the fittings that are above ground and cannot find the leak. The center drain does not seem to work at all. It has been that way since we bought the house. The plumbing for this pool has a Baker Hydro skimmer that has the center drain piped into the skimmer with a plug that can be placed in the opening to turn off the drain ( I leave it out). I also have a fitting on the other side of the pool to attach a robot cleaner which I have a Hayward Navigator hooked up to. This line goes directly to the filter. Every once in a while I see sand in the skimmer. Not sure where that is coming from. Two weeks ago I cleaned out the cartridge flter and found a lot of sand in it. This is very clean sand, not dirt. I am in Florida, and that is what the ground is, so I am suspecting that it is being sucked in from a leak. Since finding all the sand in the filter, I have put the plug in the drain line to close that off and disconected the robot to see if that would make any differense but it is still leaking. How can I find where this leak is coming from and how can it be fixed? I am hoping to do as much on my own without having to call in contractors if possible.

Old 01-04-06, 07:12 AM
N
skimmer leak

I had a leak that I found at the bottom of the skimmer. To fix it, I installed a temporary pipe as a dam and poured fiberglass resin with some matting about 1/2 inch deep to plug to hole. Worked like a charm.

Old 01-14-06, 08:58 AM
J
leak

you need check each line 1 at a time. just because the main drain goes inbto the skimmer and you plug it there you still have the opening in the bottom of the pool to the skimmer where there can be a leak. dive into the pool and plug the opening in the main drain from there using a rubber winterizing plug (usually a # 10 that you can get at the pool store). If that does not stop the leak then your main drain is OK. Next, when you disconnect the robot, is there a fitting comming from the pool wall it attaches to? if so, yo uneed to plug that to see if that line is leaking. If not, then you will need to do some diagnostics. First, run your pool for 24 hours and measure the water loss, refill pool, next keep pool off for 24 hours and measure loss. If you loss from the pool running it is in your return lines to the pool. If you get loss when it is off it is comming from your suction lines.
PS is it a vinyl or gunite pool

Old 02-04-06, 03:33 PM
T
I am pretty sure that the leak is coming from the floor drain. I suspect a broken pipe or at least a pipe that was not spliced corectly. I closed off the line that goes to the robot by closing the fitting in the pool and also closing the valve for it at the pump. I upgraded the system to a bigger pump and cartrige filter, but now the leak is going faster and filling the filter with sand.I suspect that it is coming from the floor drain because it is a Hydro Baker model. The floor drain goes into the skimmer before going on to the filter. Since I can not find a crack in the skimmer, I must assume that it is coming from the floor drain. Does anyone know how that would be repaired? Does the bottom of the pool need to be broken up? What kind of cost can I expect?

Old 02-11-06, 07:09 AM
T
I hired a local company to come in and find the leak. They do it with a listening device that they submerg in the pool and listen with headphones. It cost $175, but was well worth it. The leak turned out to be in the skimmer, so it will not be an expensive repair. There was a crack running completely around the inside of the skimmer about halfway down under a lip, so it was not easy to see. I will repair it with fiberglass resin. I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: