pool pressure is high

Old 11-16-05, 07:12 PM
Unhappy pool pressure is high

I have a new sand filter about 6months old. It always show around 10 or a little above whenever I backwash and the filter is clean. A few weeks ago after hurricane wilma I cleaned the leaves out of the pool ,put in all the necessary chemicals and continue to backwash after letting the pool run for 24 hours .I can not get it clear,took the water in to the service center and the water tested out good.
Problem: The little clock keeps on going up past 30 and the pool is not clearing up. this is not normal as the pressure has never been this high on the filter before, can anyone tell me what may be wrong. the filter is clean.also I am having to put water in the pump sometime for it to prime. the pump is about 10 years old,but everything was fine before the hurricane.

thanks for any advice with this problem

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-05, 05:12 PM
I need to clarify myself with this problem. Usually I have a psi of 10 or below on clean. I notice now that I have around 14 on clean only when I run the filter without the baracuda cleaner attached to the skimmer. I have always used the same cleaner but now when I attach the cleaner the psi goes up to 30 and sometime a bit higher. I have a hayward sand filter only a few months old. I t was working fine befor the hurricane Wilma. Also I can't seem to get it clear again. I have backwashed and backwashed, the basket is clean, water has tested out ok.
Can someone please help me ,is is normal for the psi to go up to 30psi on clean? thank for any help I get

Old 11-19-05, 06:30 PM
DGourley
Visiting Guest
It is very possible the gauge itself is faulty. They tend to go bad so fast I tell all my customers to learn their filter needs by the feel of the return pressure and the strength of the suction as well as the pressure gauge. They are all directly related. While your pressure builds your suction decreases and your return flow weakens. If the suction and return seem normal your filter is probably just fine.

Old 11-21-05, 02:51 PM
Maybe the gauge is wrong but whenever I connect the baracuda cleaner to the skimmer the pressure goes up to 30psi and above and then the cleaner stops because the pump loses prime. It will stay around 20psi as long as I don't use the cleaner. I thought it was the disk so I bought a new disk for the cleaner also new hoses. It sound like I hear a litle tingling inside the filter. Is it possible for something to bypass the basket and go into the filter?

had a lot of debris after the hurricane, and I tried to net most of it out before turning on the filter.I can't seem to get the pol to come real clear. thanks for the help.

Old 11-23-05, 04:16 PM
first things first, if when you turn the pump off does the pressure gage drop all the way down to zero ? if it does more than likely its good,

you stated the normal psi reading of your gage is around 10 psi , if this is indeed the case your filter will need to be backwashed whenever the pressure raises an additional 6 psi that would be 16 psi if this means that you have to backwash every day , so be it , when all the debris that is blocking the filter is removed from the pool your backwash cycles should return to normal, after the hurricane you should have super chlorinated your pool, ran your pump 24 / 7 backwashing as required , and perhaps added a filter aid to speed things up a little, alum or a filter aid specifically formulated for sand filters.

I personally recommend backwashing for apx. 2 minutes, rinse, 20 seconds, [ if you have a multiport type backwash valve ] then return to filter mode and run for 2 minutes ........ do this twice , after the last time you will have to add the alum or whatever you are using as a filter aid, as it gets washed out with the backwash.

steve

Old 11-30-05, 07:33 PM
thanks steve, I did what you said, backwash,backwash and it is better but I still think maybe something is still in the filter. I did not quite what you said about using a filter aid so I could not follow that instruction. however, it is much better now and I really do appreciate the advice. The reason it took me so long to reply was because my phone system went completely out and I could not use the computer either.

The hurricane has left things in pretty bad shape. thanks for the advice, the pool is looking much better now.