Substitute Hot Tub chemicals

Old 11-17-05, 11:02 AM
Bog Bonzai
Visiting Guest
Question Substitute Hot Tub chemicals

I've heard of people using diluted hydrochloric acid, liquid chlorine and Vinigar as chemical supplements in thier tubs. Has anyone else heard of such substitutions?

I find it curious that the spa chemicals are reluctant to name specifically what the chemical agents are on the packaging. Could it be that there are less expensive additives we could use than the pricey pool and spa chemicals?

I'm not going to try anything to save a few pennies but if there're some real deals out there that would work I'm in..

Old 11-19-05, 08:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,715 Upvotes on 1,531 Posts
I have heard of hydrochloric acid/muratic acid being used to change the ph in a pool, but have never heard it recommended for spas. I have also heard of people using chlorine bleach in a pool but I'm not sure there is much if any money savings.

Generally spas are small and use very little sanitizer so there is not much money to be saved. I took a look at the bottles I have in my cabinet and most clearly state what's in them and they are not chemicals commonly available at Wally World.

Old 03-21-06, 08:15 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bleach, borax and baking soda is all you will ever need

Old 03-22-06, 08:56 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most hot tub manufacturers recommend EPA-registered products which meet stringent standards for effectiveness in hot tubs. Why take a chance with the health of your family and friends.

http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/bulletins/docs/b1983_2.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: