what harm from ignoring Hot Tub?

Old 11-21-05, 12:49 PM
what harm from ignoring Hot Tub?

we just bought & moved into a house with a hot tub on the back patio. it's going on 3+ weeks since we've been there & we've done nothing to the hot tub. the cover is on it, the display panel reads 100 degrees & it's "on". how long before something irreversably bad happens to it or the water or whatever, with us doing nothing to it? we have no desire to ever use it - we're trying to sell it. we aren't "hot tub people"!!! but we were told it would be easier/better to keep it running so potential buyers could easily see that it works. there appears to be some mysterious chemicals & stuff in a closet (actually the previous owners left us all the chemicals & said everything we need is there, but...?). what's the bare minimum we can do to keep it from turning into some sort of bacterial stew or completely turning green, etc? throw in some sort of chlorine tablet or something?

next question is, if/when we sell it, how do we empty it & shut it off? i think it's a Coleman California something or other.........

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-05, 04:21 PM
i personally agree that if your intensions are to sell it, keep it full and hot for a more quicker sale, and at a better price, if its been sitting for 3 + weeks like you posted you may allready be well on you way to trouble, i suggest you call a local service person and allow them to take care of it for you till you sell it.

steve

Old 11-28-05, 07:45 AM
thanks, Steve. any idea on what a ballpark re-sale price would be for it?

it's a Coleman California Cooperage, Model #107, seats 7, has a cover, and that wood (cedar?) plank skirting/siding all around it.

the serial number is 107990605617. can the age of the tub be determined from this number??

Old 11-29-05, 09:01 AM
DPW
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Annette,

It is a shame you want to get rid of the hot tub had you considered the wellness effects from a hot soak? If not you may want to investigate the Arthritis Foundations web site http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/...urPoolorHotTub

However if you are set on selling then you need to be aware that even if you don't use the spa bacteria and algae can still grow. So you will need to maintain the chemical balance. What I recommend you do is make a list of the chemicals you have at home then take about a quart of water in a clean plastic container (not a soft drink bottle) to the local pool and or spa store of your choice. Check your yellow pages for someone that does FREE water analysis. They should be able to help you keep the water problem free. The only other thing is to keep the cartridge filter clean. About once a week, or since you are not using it, about every other week take the cartridge out and hose it off.

If you have back or leg problems, or arthritis seriously consider keeping it you will be amazed at how much a spa can help. I could tell you some great stories of people who have been helped, but it is not for everyone it is an individual thing.

As for value I don't know how old the spa is. If you call Coleman 1-800-367-4286 and give them the serial number they should be able to tell you. You may also want to find out who the local dealer is and then find out the current price so you can set your price accordingly.

Good luck.

Guru of Pools

Last edited by Annette; 11-29-05 at 09:06 AM. Reason: removed business web address - advertising not allowed
Old 11-29-05, 09:29 AM
thanks for the advice. actually, yesterday i called & talked to a local Coleman dealer and they were very helpful.

Last edited by Annette; 12-13-05 at 02:53 PM.