Drain Pool Water?

Old 12-24-05, 10:27 AM
Drain Pool Water?

I had my water sample checked last weekend with a local pool supplies store. The rep asked how old was my pool and if I have drained it? His logic was that water gets tired. Is that a true statement?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-05, 07:21 PM
Are you (not you, but the sales rep at your local store) serious??

I would (seriously) go back to the owner of that store and suggest to them that they start doing drug testing on their employees

what were your sample results? and just in case I've missed something, explained what he meant by "water getting tired" --- do the molecules max out their 401(k)s or something and retire??

good luck ---

Old 12-31-05, 08:43 AM
Water Tired?

Thanks for the reply. Water sample results were fine. He added that water should be drained after two years. It's difficult to find a reputable pool store. The other place I used to go always find something wrong (I need this and that). That's why I'm back to my test kit.

Old 01-08-06, 04:29 PM
Water

Did the "very helpful" clerk test the TDS (Total disolved Solids), High TDS is one of the only reasons to drain pool water but chances are if the pool is only 2 years old the TDS should be fine. If you ever find a good pool store you should post it. (I won't hold my breath)

Old 01-14-06, 07:30 AM
tired water

WOW ! I have been in the pool business for over 25 years and this is a first for me, "tired water". Maybe it was a "lazy sales person". What is actually wrong with the pool water, is it cloudy? green? etc. If it looks ok and the chlorine, ph, and total alk all ok then i wouldnt worry. just keep those 3 things perfect and you should have no worries.

Old 01-19-06, 04:47 PM
They may have been wanting to sell you all the chemicals you would need when you refilled it.

Old 01-20-06, 06:53 AM
I KNOW THAT GUY !!!! he wanted to flush the summer air out of my tires and fill them with winter air . must have thought i was an idiot. it was only september

Old 01-31-06, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by jun54e
I had my water sample checked last weekend with a local pool supplies store. The rep asked how old was my pool and if I have drained it? His logic was that water gets tired. Is that a true statement?
Hah!

On the other hand, depending on your water rates, it can be cheaper if the water gets badly out of balance to just drain it and refill it will tap water which is closer to the chemical levels you need.

It might cost $15 to refill a pool, or $150 in chemicals to get it to what tap water would be at.

Old 02-01-06, 09:23 PM
Tired water and Winter air....I thought a buddy of mine was foolish for buying a screen door for his submarine. Oh well, back to my underwater firefighting!

Old 02-16-06, 07:12 AM
Empty pool floating up and away

Someone sent me this picture of a pool that was drained completely dry, evidently during the raining season when the water table was high.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ekelsi.detweiler/floatingpool.html

I can only imagine how I would feel if I took that guys advice without thinking and then ended up with this nightmare.

I wonder if this happens frequently, has anyone else ever seen an empty pool "float" up out of the ground like this?

Old 02-17-06, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by phildetwei
Someone sent me this picture of a pool that was drained completely dry, evidently during the raining season when the water table was high.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ekelsi.detweiler/floatingpool.html

I can only imagine how I would feel if I took that guys advice without thinking and then ended up with this nightmare.

I wonder if this happens frequently, has anyone else ever seen an empty pool "float" up out of the ground like this?
It's not impossible, certainly if you live in an area with a high water table.

Even a septic tank will float if it is empty.

If it's a concern, drain the pool only half-1/3 of the way empty then refill.