inground pool tiles leaking

Old 01-04-06, 07:21 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
inground pool tiles leaking

I have a typical inground gunite pool in central FL about 10 years old. The water level will drop to a level that is about 1 inch above the skimmer intake. (I have already fixed a leak at the bottom of the skimmer.) It appeas that the tile grout is the cause. It is cracked is several locations, but is not flaking out. I will probably need to resurface in another year or two. I am anxious to wait this long to fix the tile.
My first question is whether the leaks can be resolved be regrouting alone?
Can the tile can be regrouted while the pool is only slightly drained to avoid popping issues?
Why is the tile needed. If I were to resurface the pool, can I simply remove the tile and resurface to the coping? It seems to be more problem that it is worth.
Thanks.

Old 01-14-06, 08:45 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking tile

You say the water level go to 1 inch above the bottom of the skimmer opening? How long does it take to drop? Have you let it run to see if it drops lower? Do you have a main drain in the pool? These question are needed if you have not let the water drop as far as it can go

If water is maintaning the level where you say then i would look at the bond beam of your pool. usually you wont get leakage from the grout between the tiles if there is no damage to the pool shell itself. yes, you can drain the pool to below the tile level to make repairs. Also, the purpose of tile a tile band is that it is easier to clean the water line stains from tile then from marble dust. Since the marble dust is like cement, the stains will for easier and are harder to clean without acid. This is why most pools have a tile band from the coping to the bottom of the skimmer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: