Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Gas to heat spa water instead of electric

Gas to heat spa water instead of electric

Old 01-11-06, 05:51 PM
Question Gas to heat spa water instead of electric

I am going to instal a hot tub just outside my back door. I live in a cold climate area (upstate NY) where electricity is expensive. Am considering adding another zone to my high efficiency gas boiler thats connected to a heat exchanger to heat the hot water for the tub. The heat exchanger would be located in the basement. Assuming I purchase a good quality, well insulated tub, will the energy costs be cheaper than electric? Will I save much on the cost of the tub? Thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-06, 07:08 AM
electric vs gas

Definately go with gas heat. I am on Long Island and i know the cost will bankrupt you on electric. It could add over 300 a month to your electric bill during the winter months. A better idea is to install a seperate gas heater and filter close to the spa. This will help your heating and also give you better filteration since it can use a larger filter medium. But bottom line is..... get away from electric if possible