What would you do?

Old 01-12-06, 10:54 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What would you do?

Hi,
After having my spa for only 2 months the paint on the pillows has worn off and now they are a greenish color. We only use our spa twice a week on average. All 5 of the pillows and the filter cover are the same painted rubberish material and are showing the same problem. I took one of the pillows to my dealer to ask about them, and he said, "It's that Minnesota water. We've contacted the manufacturer and tried to get them to correct it, but they haven't." He said that they could sell me the pillows at cost this first time. While I appreciated the gesture, I didn't want to spend $50 on new pillows for a 2-month-old hot tub if they were just going to rub off again. I'm probably going to contact the manufacturer (who shall remain nameless depending on how they handle this) to see if they'd be willing to correct this. I spent over $10K on this new hot tub and I consider this a manufacturing defect.
I considered taking my green rubbery crummy-looking pillows to their 5 nearest competitors and maybe they might warn customers about this. Maybe I'll do that if they don't make things right.

What would you do?

Old 01-13-06, 12:32 PM
R
Good Luck on getting help from a dealer and the manufacturer may have the same attitude. The water/chemicals in a hot tub are tough on anything left in it for periods of time. Not sure how much of an inconvience removing the pillows after use would be, but it would extend the life of each.(I know that doesn't help with the filter cover issue). I experienced the same let down of spending the big bucks as well, and getting no satisfaction form the dealer. Welcome to the jungle!

Old 01-14-06, 07:56 AM
J
Green pillows

Water chemistry is very important in hot tubs. It sound like your bromine level could be high or total alkalinity is extremely low. Get your water checked at a local pool store. If your ph is low and alkalinity is low and there is presence of metals in the water, it could be doing alot more damage then just turning the pillows green.

Old 01-14-06, 08:04 PM
K
I don't think it's the chemicals in the water because I had them check the the water the same day I brought in one of the pillows, and they said that the pH and alkalinity were just right. I do not use bromine chemicals either. Also it was obvious to me that I'm not the first to complain about this. I just wish there was something I could do about it...

Does anyone know if there is a way to refinish (paint) the pillows? I know that I've got to be careful with the paint so as to not contaminate the water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: