Value of a Deep Heat Return

Old 12-29-05, 03:27 PM
ToolGirl
Visiting Guest
Question Value of a Deep Heat Return

Hello everyone. What a great site for us DIYers! I'm hoping someone can help me with regard to a swimming pool construction issue.

We recently had a concrete sport pool installed which was supposed to have 5 returns - 4 in the sides and a deep heat return on the bottom in the deep section. The salesman really talked up the 5th return as a means of more efficient heating and circulation in the pool. As we intend to add a heater next year this was a selling point for us.

Now – at the final turnover - we find out that the plumber forgot about the deep heat line and it was never installed. I was told the pool company became aware of the mistake at some point – why they didn’t approach us about it then is beyond me.

The information I’ve read leads me to believe that the floor return really does help with efficient heating and circulation.

Recognizing that installing it now is a little near impossible - what do you think is reasonable compensation for the lack of the additional return? I’m not trying to be unreasonable, but I do feel that there is some lost value (beyond the fact that it was factored into the price) in not having it installed.

What do some of you pros think? I’d really appreciate some feedback.

Jerri

Old 12-30-05, 07:35 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
obviously the additonal cost should be refunded. above that nothing as far as real world legal refunds, but if the contractor cares about his reputation he should toss you a bone for the lost efficiancy and savings down the road. maybe some free chemicals ?

Old 12-30-05, 09:49 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tool Girl (or Jerri, if I may hehe)

wow! now that's what I call a mistake

I'm trying very hard not to make a plug here, lol (but that stuff gets ya kicked off here --- and I am going to be installing some hardwood floors and granite counter tops in my house one day and cannot afford the lack of advice from DIY.com HAHAH)

Just from your tone, I think you're being pretty level headed (quite the rarity), which in itself deserves a reward ---

don't be surprised, nor angry if you don't though --- like the last guy said, it depends on the company

If it brightens your day --- just know that you'll still have warm water when the heater gets installed

and, on another "look on the bright side" -- you have a pool!!! enjoy it!!!

happy new year

Old 01-18-06, 03:25 PM
ToolGirl
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the responses. I would really like to know what they would charge me to install a return. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Old 01-29-06, 06:08 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToolGirl
Thanks for the responses. I would really like to know what they would charge me to install a return. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Why should they charge you for a return line that they forgot? Was it in your contract? If it was in your contract and they forgot the return they are at fault and you should not have to pay a dime. Adding such a return after the fact is major work, if it is indeed possible?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: