What type of concrete for pool?

Old 01-28-06, 04:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of concrete for pool?

Hopefully, someone will know this. I am fairly handy and have tackle some pretty big jobs in my time. I was thinking about what it would take to build my own lap pool. I think something say 40'-60' by 20' would be nice. I have seen the holes dug and the rebar put in, but I don't know why type of concrete they shoot on...I have done concrete work before, but thought that maybe it was something special...Anyone have any ideas on this. Maybe I am under estimating the job, then again, maybe I am not.. I have built my own house, so I am not terribly afraid to try something new....even if I fail the first time...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-06, 04:42 PM
P
You would want to use Gunite. Gunite is mixed on site with cement and sand and shot through a hose where water is added at the nozzle, it allows you to shoot it in layers and allows easy shaping of the pool. 40 to 60 long X 20 is a good sized pool you are going to want to some good engineering on a pool of this size. Building an in ground pool is a serious DIY project so do the research before you dive in.

Old 02-03-06, 10:26 AM
B
response

Pool guru, thanks for the info ...Gunite.. I have heard of that. I really don't know if I am going to do this project, but it is in the back of my mind. Where can gunite be purchased from? I see pool companies in my area and wonder where they learned how to build inground pools. I haven't heard of any classes or training in this. This was an interest of mine I have been thinking about for some time now. Any books or learning source you know of would be invaluable. I love to learn new things and I always try to do the homework necessary. But like everything, what you don't know will get ya.

Old 02-25-06, 02:36 PM
J
building a pool

Funny you should ask this question now. We just finished shooting a gunite pool yesterdaty. There are only a handful of people here on long island that I would trust to shoot a pool for me. This is a MAJOR speciality. They shot a 20 x 40 pool with 6 people working and it took from 8am untill 530 pm with no break for lunch to finish it and it used 45 yards of cement. It MUST be completed the same day to prevent cracking. Also, once you do this, you need to put tile on the wall and marble dust the pool. Marble dust is a mixture of portland cement and mable dust (as an aggregate) which is hand troweled smooth. A vinyl pool is definately a better choice for a homeowner.

Old 02-26-06, 06:25 PM
I would say depends where you are (rules and regs)

My dad and his dad built an in-ground rectangular pool in Tucson in the 50s - used regular concrete as far as I can remember. It was a great pool - all the grandkids learned to swim there (probably where we will all get our skin cancers in the next few years - wooo I remember some burns as a kid - we never wanted to get out of the water.

Lots of ranchers around here built water storage tanks about the same demensions as above ground round pools (I have seen sqare ones too) with poured concrete (with steel) that work fine after 50 or 100 years....they used em for swimming too, if you could ignore the stuff on the bottom.

Old 03-14-06, 08:32 AM
R
sorry i didn't get to this post earlier.

i just put in my own inground pool this past summer. i built it from a kit with polymer walls. i then put in a vermiculite bottom.

it is a big project (and i must say i think i messed up some parts of it) but i hope it will be worth it this summer when i put down the concrete apron.

if you want more info, let me know.

bob

Old 04-28-13, 12:07 PM
R
Building a natural swimming pool would be easier. A German company teaches courses on how to do it here in the states. There are many DIY videos on YouTube. Natural swimming pools are twice as popular in Europe.

P.s. since this 7 year old forum posting was the top result on youtube, i thought it might be active.