salt system chlorine generator questions

Old 02-07-06, 03:43 PM
salt system chlorine generator questions

Ok I am maybe going to look at salt system chlorine generator for my 35 thousand gallon vinal liner inground pool.
I am tired of buying high dollar cholorine.What are the neg sides of such a system? will my electric bill go up? Please dont spare any thing I need all the facts positive and negative before I make such an investment.Things like is it good for my liner anything will help.
Any brands how dependable are they.
Thanks a million for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-06, 03:19 AM
The only downside I can think of is that water balance is slightly more critical. Easier once it is balanced, but you might find that you will be using more of a different chemical to keep it in balance.

I installed mine myself and save probably half. I used the Goldline Controls AquaRite

Last edited by todrut; 02-05-08 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 07:21 AM
thanks

Thanks for that input is it cheaper in the long run? A local pool supply has an offer of free installation on things likes pumps,filters etc any high ticket items.

Old 02-11-06, 08:35 AM
It sure has been cheaper for me. Cyanuric acid (stabilizer) is only required as you refill from backwashing or splashouts, as is salt. I'm finding that I am only using a little more muratic acid than before, and the occasional stabilizer.

But I was using $95 a month in chlorine which is now been completely eliminated.

Old 02-11-06, 03:06 PM
good deal

Yes I think I am going for the system real soon I have not heard one bad thing about it and if it can save money in the long run I am in.
I still need to talk to the guys at my local pool store but I am 98% sure I am going to get it probbably this week.
The only thing is it says up to 40 thousand gallons and my pool is 35 thousand I might be pushing the limit I will have to ask the guy.

Old 02-16-06, 04:31 AM
update

Well I made the plunge and dished out my hard earned money and bought the system they are going to install it next Tuesday on my day off so I can get full instructions on how to use it.
We are going to start with 6 bags of salt and go from there.

Old 02-16-06, 04:43 AM
6 bags of salt? Hmmm...there is a chart in the instructions. Follow the chart. Do a salt test to determine the current salinity of the water, and using the capacity of the pool determine the salt requirement to bring the salt level up to about 2700 ppm. Let the pool stabalize and recheck the salt after 24 hours then add any additional to get it between 2700 to 3100 or so.

Unless your water is already a little salty you will likely need a bit more... like 700 pounds or so. (Or were you talking 100 lb. bags?) But don't guess! USE THE CHARTS! The only way to get salt out of the water is to drain and add fresh.

In fact, your installer will likely do it for you. Be sure and let us know how it comes out.

Old 02-16-06, 05:11 AM
I will let you know

Thanks I will let you know how it works out.The pool guy said that is going to be a starting point and after a few days to bring in a water sample.
As far as water drain I can only do a little at a time since the water holds the liner down and to remove a lot of it will cause it to wrinkle.
I dont think I have to much salt since I had a liner put in 3 years ago so water is only 3 years old.
I think they are 50 lb bags cause he showed me one and it was the size of a large bag of dog food. It is made by mortin salt and it says made for swimming pools (granulated).about 8 dollars a bag.

Old 02-16-06, 07:09 PM
You can get the same thing in 25# bags from Sam's for $2.85 a bag. It's normal table salt... just be sure it is pure. Water softener salt is ok but the large chunks take a long time to dissolve.

And, most units have a salinity meter built in. In fact it will usually tell you temperature and sometimes pH. Different units do different thigs. Do you know which you are getting?

Old 02-17-06, 01:58 AM
system

The system I bought is the Hayward H-40 system.

Old 02-22-06, 03:52 PM
Installed

System was installed yesterday and is running now the only thing is the water is to cold to make choroline in the auto mode.I dont think I can check it out till water warms up.

Old 03-15-06, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by michael van
System was installed yesterday and is running now the only thing is the water is to cold to make choroline in the auto mode.I dont think I can check it out till water warms up.
If you need chloring in the pool set it to "Super Chlorinate." It will override the auto setting.

Old 03-15-06, 01:39 PM
OK now

Water has gotten warmer now and it is working as it should I did have to add quite a bit more salt but that is OK I have plenty now as I bought 17 bags at 40 lbs each.Got them at Home Depot much cheaper then the pool store and it disolved just fine overnight.

Old 05-16-06, 09:32 AM
Mike i am also i'm going to buy the Hayward H-40 Salt System, they have it on sale at leslie's pools.. what should i expect..??

Old 05-16-06, 04:59 PM
good deal

I have had it for a few months and I really like it. They do not put in enough salt when they install it so get extra I have also found that salt is cheaper at Home depot.
When you backwash you will lose salt so I keep about 3 bags extra in my shed.
Water is very clear and no chlorine smell I have not been swimming yet (still a little cold for me).
Yes get it you will like it. They do a good install so no prob there.
I have had the check cell light go on one time I took it off and it was still clean so I just reset it.

Old 05-16-06, 05:20 PM
Depending on your model the 'check cell' light will automatically come on every three months or so. It is just to remind you to check it. That is in addition to a legitimate dirty cell indication.

Also, you can buy "Morton table salt" in 25 pound bags from Sam's for a reasonable price.

Get a good test kit and test the water regularly (daily) for the first month. Especially cyanuric acid (stabilizer) since you are accostomed to chlorine having stabilizer combined. Now you have to add stabilizer separately.

Old 07-01-06, 03:35 PM
About the Hayward H-40 Salt Water Clorinator

Gentlemen,

I've read your threaded messages about the Hayward H-40 system with some interest. However, I note that with the advertised H-40 system for sale at about $800, there is also a "replacement element" listed at $500. Huh?

So how often does one have to replace the element at the cost of $500?
That's pretty steep costs if the life expectancy is short.

Any comments?

Larry

Old 07-01-06, 04:40 PM
With proper preventative maintenance one should give you years of trouble free service.

Old 07-31-06, 11:05 AM
sorry if this is a dumb question, but......does the water taste salty???? like salt water at the beach?

Old 07-31-06, 12:18 PM
Not at all. It's more like drinking Pedialite. It's about the same salinity as medical normal saline solution.

Old 07-31-06, 01:59 PM
Not really

I do not think it is a silly question but the answer is very little salt taste almost none but well worth the investment I like it.No problems and people comment how well they like the water better over the choroline system I used to have.
Also no more faded swimming suits or green hair.I have also noticed my metal patio furniture does not corrode.I give it two thumbs up.

Old 02-26-07, 04:40 PM
bad aquarite cell

how do I know if my aquarite salt gen. is bad. My salt levelis around 3200, but on the aquarite monitor it reads very low thus unable to generate cl-

Old 02-26-07, 04:43 PM
temp

How cold is the water? it wont generate with cold water temps.

Old 03-08-07, 09:11 AM
Are these saltwater systems an item you can do yourself? I've messed with PVC and done some electrical and have access to a certified electrician in the family. Would I be in over my head trying to install one myself? I've read the instruction pdfs and it looks fairly straightforward. Is it tougher than it looks?

Thanks

Old 03-08-07, 02:09 PM
looks easy

It looks easy I did not put mine in because it was free installation but I watched them The electrical goes into your timer box the main computer box is mounted on the wall and the cell is spliced into the returns.
I could have done it but what the heck for with free installation.

Old 03-08-07, 02:50 PM
Wink

Just about anyone can put them in. My daughters about 12000gal pool They use about 90lb of salt a year is all.

Old 03-08-07, 05:09 PM
Thank for the info. I was having trouble getting any of the pool people to come out to install it (they are all too busy) so I started toying with the idea of doing it myself.

I think I'll order it tonight!

Old 03-26-07, 07:03 PM
salt system

Originally Posted by michael van View Post
Ok I am maybe going to look at salt system chlorine generator for my 35 thousand gallon vinal liner inground pool.
I am tired of buying high dollar cholorine.What are the neg sides of such a system? will my electric bill go up? Please dont spare any thing I need all the facts positive and negative before I make such an investment.Things like is it good for my liner anything will help.
Any brands how dependable are they.
Thanks a million for any input.
Salt System is very good . I have it for about 2y and have no problem with it and no smell of chlorine
Adding 1 bag of salt every other month cost $8 bucks .Cell needs to be clean every 3 months somthimes need to add other chemicals depens on your water tests it is realy low maintenance

Old 02-05-08, 05:41 PM
Question Any restrictions on type of equipment, construction?

I have been looking at these systems for some time now, with the ever rising price of chlorine they look better all the time.

Are there any "gotchas" to look out for? For example my inground gunite pool of about 20,000 gallons was built with all copper piping (mostly 2-inch). When I checked on automatic chlorinator systems a few years ago I was told that they were not recommended for copper piped pools because of possible reaction effects with the copper.

Is there anything like that with these salt based systems?

Thanks.

Old 02-05-08, 08:15 PM
as more & more people are being educated about chlorine generating systems, the more they catch on,

yes they are great, basically the principal is to add salt to a given body of water untill a certain ppm [ parts per million ] is reached , each manufacture has there own recommendation, the control part, [ may be seperate or with the cell ] breaks the molecule of salt via low voltage ele. releasing the chlorine,

however the comonality , basically stops there, presently because of the public , acceptance & demand there are apx. 10 manufactures, not all are quality units, & or economy units may not be near as good as the higher end units, for example,

1. on the lower end units you may have to replace the cell more often than a cell on a high end unit. , also from my experience the price of the cell is substantially higher than the higher end units.

2. the higher end units generally have a means to adjust the reversing cycle, some of the lower end units may not even reverse polarity, thus needing cleaning more often,

3. some low end units may not have flow switches

4. most of the low end units do not have self diagnostics built into them.

5. and some of the systems are not recommended for copper plumbing.

6. a top of the line system I prefer is made by autopilot, [ out of Florida ] the all digital one , self diagnostics, it tell you how much salt to add, you can set the reversing cycle, and when the water gets below a certain degree it lowers the output automatically, not stop alltogeather like many, the cell sc-60 has a 5 year warranty cost less than many I replace, you can mount directly on copper as per the manufacture.

as far as installation goes, yes most all of the units are diy friendly , provided you have the proper tools, & an biginners level of electricity, most systems require you to wire them on the load side of your pump, an most are 220v / 120v
convertable

steve

Old 02-05-08, 10:45 PM
Smile Thanks for the excellent quick overview

As always, it sounds like you get what you pay for... either some more up front or more and more and more later plus the extra headaches and maintenance.

I will definitely look into the Autopilot unit you mention and thoroughly check out the compatibility with copper piping.

I have a fair amount of experience with home plumbing and wiring, inlcluding pool plumbing. Since I've had my pool I've taken out the gas heater and converted to solar, replaced the origninal DE filter with a much more convenient and less messy cartridge filter and also upgrade the pump and motor.

In the past, I completely rewired a four bedroom 2-story house from the service entry on to all the inside wiring including furnace, kitchen applicances, lights, etc. I also remodeled the kitchen in our present house, including new stove and oven drops, overhead lighting, built-in microwave, disposal and dishwasher, both plumbing and electrical for all. So I think I could handle the salt system chlorine generator.

I appreciate your advice it certainly sounds right on target.

Bill C.

Old 07-01-08, 10:15 PM
Thumbs up Chlorine Generator for Pools and Hot tubs

I have been installing chlorine generators for years and have found them to be the best way to treat water. It is important to install correctly which can be done by just about any do it yourselfer. Water balance and proper salt levels are important.

One thing you may want to check before you install one is the phosphate levels in the water. I have found a lot of issues in the tap water out here in Denver, CO and I'm sure it could be a problem elsewhere. Phosphates will keep your chlorine generator from working properly and decrease the life of the cell.

If you are looking for a hot tub chlorine generator look at the colorchlor.

With all the Chlorine Generators I've installed, I have yet to find anyone who doesn't like them.

Old 09-15-08, 05:31 PM
Moving

Originally Posted by michael van View Post
Well I made the plunge and dished out my hard earned money and bought the system they are going to install it next Tuesday on my day off so I can get full instructions on how to use it.
We are going to start with 6 bags of salt and go from there.
Hey there -

We are closing on our new home tomorrow. This house has the H-40 system on the pool and things are up and running on it currently. From our agreement - it is cleaned and ready tomorrow for our move in.

So, any tips or how to information for this system would be wonderful. I am searching for a manual or how to guide for this system and will be contacting a pool company as well.

Just thought I would ask for your thoughts.

Thanks
Bryan

Old 09-16-08, 08:02 AM
Good system

No problem it is a great system just make sure when you clean the cell to use the correct concentration of acid and water.
The reason I say this is a buddy of mine did not and it cost 500 dollars to replace it.
Also I have been using solar salt from Home Depot much cheaper. It takes a little longer to disolve because it is like a rock salt and has bigger grains.
I keep a couple of bags on hand just in case the salt gets low because you add too much water or you have a massive rain storm.
I think you can Google the system and pull up a PDF instruction guide.
Also I do not know were you live but if the water temp gets too cold the system will not generate.

Old 09-18-08, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=
Also I do not know were you live but if the water temp gets too cold the system will not generate.[/QUOTE]

We live in Dallas, Texas - so I think it should typically be warm enough.

Thanks for your input.

Old 09-18-08, 08:15 AM
live close

Yep I live over by the Texas motar speedway so our temps are the same.
There will be a few times that it will shutdown but nothing to worry about as alage does not do well in cold water.