installing drain for automatic cover

Old 03-16-06, 08:52 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing drain for automatic cover

i will be putting in a recessed top-track automatic cover this summer on my pool. i am wondering about a drain in the recessed housing. do i need one?

the housing will sit in a recessed wooden box. it will be at least 16" deep and will have no bottom, just sides. the bottom will be the crushed stone that i backfilled my pool with. there will be about 8" of crushed stone from the bottom of the box to the concrete footing i poured to lock in the walls of my pool.

what do you think?

i do have a subsurface drain that goes around the nearby septic system. i could connect a drain to that. it exits to open air. the only thing i don't like about using that is i am not sure if the slope of the subsurface drain is correct. i cut into and had to re-route it when i put in the pool.

thanks in advance

Old 03-16-06, 07:16 PM
P
Yes you should put a drain in, also make sure the motor is on a GFI breaker. Wooden sides around the recessed housing? Wood will rot over time even if it is pressure treated ACZA. Concrete or gunite with a drain.

Old 03-17-06, 06:27 AM
R
i understand your concern about the wooden sides but i think i would have had to have planned better for anything other than wood.

there are braces which support the end wall of the pool that i have to cut into to install the box. i don't think i can put concrete in there. i would have to take out the braces.

what do you think?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: