Cleaning out a sand filter

Old 03-16-06, 09:04 AM
Cleaning out a sand filter

With the sand out (as it is now) can I just hose out whatever is still in the "drum"? Previous owner had the wrong sand in it and when winterizing it last Nov the pool "tech" opened the wrong valve releasing the sand. A bit of a mess as it is now.

Not as bad as the pool which was uncovered since then. That was my fault, as I didn't think it would take as long as it did to move to the house.

Another point is with all the crap in the pool (whatever I can't "net") would it be wise to plan on 2 sand fills before I actually open the pool? I'm thinking all the crap it would initially filter would severly shorten the sand's usability?

[1st pool - 1st sand filter for me]

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-06, 06:23 PM
There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the filter, remove the plug and hose the filter out. Make sure you put the plug back in and fill the filter up about full with water before you add the sand. If you pour the sand in dry you can break off the laterals at the bottom of the filter.

Old 03-16-06, 09:23 PM
Yeah - after the "tech" did his work I d/loaded the manuals for all the hardware and noticed that he undid the wrong valve. Hence the quotes around "tech". Haha.

What are your thoughts about using 2 sets of sand, with all the grunge that the pool has right now? Feasible or not necessary?

Thanks for the tip about filling with some water. I would've overlooked that.

Old 03-20-06, 08:19 AM
If the water is that bad don't vacumn through the filter until you get all the gunk out. Of course on bypass you will be pumping water out onto the ground so you will have to keep re-filling but its better than fouling up your filter. Once you have dipped and vacumned out the big stuff just pour the shock to it and the water will clear up in a few days you can run the pump on re-circulate while doing this to protect your filter sand also. If its really bad with algae you may have to stope the pump and let the dead material settle and vacumn some more.

Old 03-20-06, 03:41 PM
Thumbs up

Sounds like a plan - thanks guys, for the tips and advice.