Need help: pool looses 2much water

Old 03-21-06, 05:24 PM
garif0
Visiting Guest
Need help: pool looses 2much water

Hello everyone,

I have noticed that my pool looses way to much water...it was completely fool on sunday...and today it was down atleast 6 inches. this is an ingroud pool.

what can the problem be? I know the pool has some chips but it was like that when I bought the house. This past summer it was fine but until resently I noticed this problem.

Any ideas? Any help/input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Garifo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-06, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by garif0
Hello everyone,

I have noticed that my pool looses way to much water...it was completely fool on sunday...and today it was down atleast 6 inches. this is an ingroud pool.

what can the problem be? I know the pool has some chips but it was like that when I bought the house. This past summer it was fine but until resently I noticed this problem.

Any ideas? Any help/input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Garifo
There are several points where leaks can occur. The pool light, the skimmer, and the plumbing lines are all possible. Depending on age and construction quality, cracks can occur where the deck meets the pool wall - this is often conceled behind the tile. Don't forget the pump and filter. Depending on the size of the pool and ground composition, 6" in two days is a LOT of water.

Two techniques for locating the leak:

Fill the pool, then measure how much it drops each day. At some point the rate will decrease greatly. The leak will be somewhere around the water line.

Turn off the pump and allow half an hour for the water to stop moving. Use red food coloring and an eye dropper to place a red 'cloud' in the water near any suspected leaks. You will be able to see the water flow to the leak. Check along the cracks you mentioned and around the return fittings too.

PlainBill

Old 03-22-06, 04:20 PM
Don't forget your backwash valve. Most any of them could lose some internal o-rings or gaskets and you might be pumping water into the drain.

Old 03-22-06, 07:29 PM
If you have a vinyl pool liner, there could be a tear. Check your pump for an air leak. You may just need to tighten the pump inlet. Check the flexible backwash hose for any water leak. If water is leaking out of this hose, the "O" rings will need to be replaced inside the backwash valve.

Some pool suppliers offer a full pressure test of the pool and its equipment. They dive in and do a dye test on the structure of the pool, focusing on any cracks and around inlets, lights, skimmers, etc.

Old 06-01-06, 11:59 AM
Lightbulb pool leak

I had a similar problem but it was not a constant leak. It would leak periodically. It turned out that the pool guys who opened my pool forgot to put the plug in the skimmer inner drain outlet. To be clear there are 2 drains in my skimmer. The one nearest the pool should be plugged.
This fixed my leak.

Good Luck!!