should I drain to rid of Black Algie

Old 04-06-06, 07:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
should I drain to rid of Black Algie

I posted a few months back about a bad black algie problem I was having, to recap , I live in Central Florida, bought the house 5 months ago, ( existing algie at purchase ) it was a foreclosure, inground 18 K gal pool with blue/white exposed aggrigate ( I think ) finish...use chloreen....when the water was colder 58 deg the algie was bad, but seemed contralable, since the water temp has been above 75 deg, the black algie has attached to the walls from the water line down about 2 feet, almost 3/4 of the way around the pool and there are traces if it now on the bottom floor, I am not talking about spots here or there, but an infestation 2 foot deep for most of way around the pool. I have tried 2 different brands of black algie killer and shocked several times, all while keeping the chloreen levels about 5 ppm..I was power washing the deck yester day and said what the heck, got in the water with the P washer and used it to break the hard outer shell, it did well at removing the algie from the corse finish, some finish also chipped , but this was very very minor ( noted some grainy stuff on bottom, some might have been blasted algie)
MY DELEMA>>>
I asked before about draining the pool, power washing the vertical walls and then acid washing, I now know for sure that the power wash will remove the algie, have I fought this problem enough, or should I continue to use heavy chemicals for the remainder of this swim season and drain and wash next fall ???.....the pool had a bad algie problem when we bought it, not really sure if there is already damage to the finish from it, cant see thru the black algie....will it hurt to limp thur this swim season ??? any thoughts ..thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-06, 10:21 PM
Josh2006
Visiting Guest
Black alage is usually caused because there is already damage to the pool. Bascially the surface of the pool becomes pitted and then the black algae grows in these pits. Regular chlorine ins't the best way to combat the algae. Trichlor shock usually works best for getting rid of black alage. However if you pool has a colored surface the trichlor shock can bleach the surface so it shouldn't be used with pools that have colored finishes. With a black algae problem this bad it maybe best to have a service company come out and take a look at it.

Josh

Old 04-09-06, 07:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Have you used a copper-based algaecide? Algae is non-existant in our pool since I started using it. This is the brand I use:

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals/Algae-Control/Super-Algaecide-Americas-Best-Algaecide-Value/

Old 04-10-06, 08:58 AM
R
the only pool store is pinch a penny, I first used their metal treatment and then their copper based super black algie, I have an infestation, I dont think it really did anything

Old 04-10-06, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
I think I would opt for the drain & pressure wash at this point. Either that or call in a pool care service as FDL suggests. Don't think I would put it off.

Old 04-10-06, 01:04 PM
I
Get chlorine levels up to 15+ ppm and keep it there. Scrub with
stiff brush. Chlorine levels of 5 are not going to do anything...5 ppm is high when pool is totally clear.