Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Tile and Coping Setting and grouting for swimming pool pools

Old 04-15-06, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Just figured out how to post nice, pulled off a lot of copings in the time it took to do this.

Ok I am having issues with my older plaster inground pool with integrated hottub. The tiles are popping off at a tremendous rate., and of course always on the partition wall. I live in Northern Virginia with a good freeze. I believe it is due to there not being a good sealant in the expansion joint. Many copings are loose and the tiles. I have pulled all the hollow sounding copings up on the pool deck and removed all loose tiles. I am going to use an thin set mortar with some acrylic additive for both the coping and the tiles, Is this correct? Should I thoroseal anything? like the exposed wall behind where the tiles would be. Behind the tiles sometimes big chunks come off and it seems as if the sandy cement is wet. I am assuming this is due to the lack of expansion joint sealant. Also I have a very big crack in my pool deck and I was wondering what I should do with it, should I just fill it with sealant also. For the grout I should use a sanded grout with an epoxy or acrylic additive?? Is there anything to put on the seams between the copings to seal up small cracks. what did I get myself into here

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-06, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
some info

I found something interesting about copings,

http://www.swimmingpoolparts.net/swimming_pool_coping_repair.htm

and of course I have an Anthony Sylvan Pool from the 80's.. And they are right about that repair cost being over 10gs. It seems as if since my tiles are on the mortar bed, that when I do these repairs, I will have to do them again every couple years. Frick. Maybe a complete remodel is worth the cost.