Tiling a fiberglass spa

Old 04-19-06, 10:03 AM
Tiling a fiberglass spa

I'd like to tile the water line of my new fiberglass spa. I've had tiling experience but not where water and fiberglass is involved. Can someone please help me with the following:
1. which thinset and grout to use
2. where can I get specialty info on "how to" regarding tiling pools/spas, I found alot when I tiled my patio but I have been unable to find any regarding tiling pools.
3. Where to buy pool/spa tiles at a reasonable price
4. important things to know to avoid problems when tiling spas
5. anything that you think might be helpful

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. If anyone needs help on how to bar-be-que a good steak or how to mix a great cocktail please let me know, now that, I'm very good at.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-06, 12:17 PM
bjj
Romanb, I would be concerning about the potential for flex on the fiberglass. You want a rock solid base with no flex for tile application. But, I am not the expert. I would post you email on the tile forum here or the John Bridge tile forum. The tile experts will give you the best advice.

Old 04-26-06, 07:41 AM
Thanks bjj

Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-26-06, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
My spa came from the factory with ceramic tile at the water line. My spa is plastic (not fiberglass) and the tiles are glued on and grouted with silicone caulk. The spa is about 10 years old and the caulk seems to do a good job. The caulk holds the tiles in place, it's flexible to let the tub move and does not absorb water or support mildew so it seems almost perfect.

romanb, if you are serious about tiling your spa I can give you some tips.