any other use for DE

Old 04-23-06, 01:40 PM
any other use for DE

I switched from a DE type filter to a cartrage filter and I have a bunch ( about 50 lbs ) of DE left over, is there any other use for it around the house - garden

I asked my neighbors and even tried to sell it cheap at a garage sale, and the pool store would not take ot back

now short of dumping it in the woods or putting in the trash, any use anywhere else...thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-06, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
If you weren't 150 miles away, I would stop by and get it! Surprised there isn't someone with a de filter that could use it.

Old 05-08-06, 10:43 AM
RMX
Thumbs up any other use for DE

Wish I could have it, but I live about 500 miles away. I truly love my DE filter. Crystal clear water, always ! Wonder why you changed to a cartrage filter ? Anyway, I suppose it being organic micromarine life, it could be used to improve the soil in a flower garden. Also, check http://www.freecycle.org/
This is a network that is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. The Network provides individuals and non-profits an electronic forum to "recycle" unwanted items. One person's trash can truly be another's treasure!

Old 05-16-06, 08:29 PM
Supposedly, you can pour some DE into your skimmer while the pump is running to coat the cartridge filters with a thin layer to improve filtration efficiency. Put in just enough to raise the pressure a couple of psi.

Anyone try this?

Old 05-17-06, 05:57 AM
RMX
any other use for DE

Quote: "pour some DE into your skimmer while the pump is running to coat the cartridge filters "

I don't believe I would do that. Cartridge filters are not designed for that. Adding DE would make it less efficient and just cause you the have to backwash sooner.

Old 05-17-06, 06:26 AM
Use it freely but sparingly in your garden or flower beds, although it will also kill beneficial things like earthworms. It is a natural insect and bug killer. Sprinkle a teaspoon on dog or cat food or most any other animal for the control of parasites. Dust on coats for effective flea control. Use to dust baseboards and under cabinets for ant and roach control.

Old 05-17-06, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by mdtaylor
Sprinkle a teaspoon on dog or cat food or most any other animal for the control of parasites. Dust on coats for effective flea control. Use to dust baseboards and under cabinets for ant and roach control.

interesting , but can I ask where you got that info from, really dont want to do anything to hurt my furry children, but I do have a flea problem in the back yard. How and Why would it work as a bug killer ???????

oh and I had a SERIOUS black algie problem, which involved cleaning of the filter every other day, my DE filter cracked and I went with a less expensive cartrage filter, so I could dismantle and clean easier while dealing with the problem pool, back washing a DE filter was a PITA, plus I used to loose a lot of DE that way, hence why I had so much on-hand

if you wanted to see pics of the black algie night mare, they are in this forum just search around for them...thanks

Old 05-17-06, 12:53 PM
Google for DE.

http://www.hydromall.com/happy_grower16.html