Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Polaris 360 gets stuck p;us tool for drain plug

Old 04-25-06, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have a Polaris 360 that is now about 6 years old. It seems to get stuck when it gets the slightest resistance. It will travel the bottom of the pool but as soon as it gets to where the gunite starts to slope upwards it hangs there. I have felt the wheels myself and it does seem like the slightest resistance stops it. If I rotate the wheels with my hand (without it on) it doesn't seem smooth. Could the gears be stripped or something? I have checked all the other settings and the thrust jet, sweep hose, etc seem to be good. The pressure seems to be okay but I am not sure how to check it to be sure.

I also wonder if anyone knows where I can find a tool that will make putting the filter drain plug on and off a lot easier (it is on the bottom of the filter and is removed during closing and put back on during opening). I ended up having to use a wrench which was not easy. The filter is a FNS-Plus Veritical Grid DE filter. I thought I heard one of the pool shop guys say that the manufacter makes a tool that makes this easier since it is such a tight fit to get into it. I tried calling the number for the manufacter on my Owner's Manual, but the recording was in Spanish only and I couldn't figure out how to get a person.

Thanks!
Beth

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-06, 04:38 AM
A Polaris 360 as old as your is belt driven. You can remove the 3 or 4 screws on the case and separate the housing to inspect everything. Quite likely your belt is slipping. The belt is a 'geared' belt in that it is serrated to match the grooves in the wheel gears. Check your wheel bearings. The belt could be slipping because there is slop in the gears.

You could also have some trash built up in the paddles that drive the gears. It's been too long to remember how that works but you should be able to figure it out. Does it have ample 'thrust' coming from the rear? Or does it poke around the pool real slow? How is the flow from the pump if you disconnect the Polaris from the source?

There is a lot of things that must come together for those things to work properly but when they do they are a lifesaver.

Old 04-26-06, 06:59 AM
thanks

Thanks! You gave me the courage to open it up. I was afraid to before thinking that belts or springs or something would come popping out and I wouldn't be able to get them back in. I now have a better understanding how it works. The belts didn't look new, but seem to still be in good shape and weren't slipping. The gears seem to look good too. The slipping feeling is coming from the play in the wheels which allows the gears to not be aligned as tight. But it seems to always get realigned so I am not sure if it is suppose to work this way anyhow. I did clean my screen in the hose where it connects to the pool and it seems to have a little more pressure. I put the cleaner back in and we'll see if it does any better.
Thanks for your help!
Beth