Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Installed Salt Water System.....adding acid like crazy!

Installed Salt Water System.....adding acid like crazy!

Old 05-07-06, 06:53 PM
Smile Installed Salt Water System.....adding acid like crazy!

Hi all!

Ok, I had the pool acid washed a few months back, and while I had it down, I went ahead and installed a Clearwater Salt System. Now, the only issue I have is that I'm adding muriatic acid like crazy. I went out of town for a few weeks (excuse inserted here <--- ;o)) and let the PH jump sky high. This of course prevented the efficient production of CL2 and Black Alge problems developed. I could easily go through a gallon in a 1 week period.

Prior to the salt system, I had an in-line chlorinator. The PH stayed perfect then due to the high acidity of the CL2 tablets. Never had to adjust the PH once in a 1.5 yr period.

I'm currently looking at the Stenner pump / container combo to ease the acid adding debacle. I plan on incorporating the controls of the acid pump with the pool controls via the installation of a Time Delay Relay. I will adjust dosing with the TDR depending on pool pump operation.

http://www.thepurchaseadvantage.com/page/TPA/CTGY/FDMX_STENNER_STS_45MHP2

Has anyone had experience with these or do you recommend a different PH control system?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-06, 01:53 PM
Has your water ever been in perfect balance with the salt system on it. It is horribly difficult to start a sakt system on a new (fresh water installed) pool. I found that starting a new pool with stablized chlorine and then switching to salt after a couple of weeks works best.

Watch your Alkalinity! Adding acid to lower ph is also lowering alkalinity.

Old 06-17-06, 01:40 PM
Update:

The pool has been balanced for a few weeks now. I add approximately 2 cups of Muratic acid each night as the pumps come on. The alkalinity is staying normal. My Cyanuric acid was low initially....brought that up and it helped alot.

I am going to install the acid pump / containment system here in the next few months...or whenever I get tired of adding acid in every day Whichever happens first.