air bubbles in filter

Old 05-09-06, 08:42 AM
air bubbles in filter

hi

i put in my own inground pool last year. i think i may have had a little trouble installing the main drain line and it may not sealed properly (i didn't pressure test).

now, i get annoying bubbles in my filter that sound like small rocks rolling around. there are air bubbles entering the pump basket.

here is my dilemma:

i am thinking about digging up the lines to the skimmer and main drain and see if i can find water leaking. i don't want to do because it is a lot of digging (the concrete deck is not yet poured).

here is why i don't think i definitely have a leak in the lines: the air infiltration is the same with either the main drain or skimmer line shut off. that would mean i have an equal size leak in both lines otherwise, when i closed one "the one with the leak", the bubbles should stop or decrease.

could i have the leak where the two pipes join before they go into the pump?

what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-06, 06:44 PM
Call a leak detection company, they will locate the leak within inches, cost a bit but better than lots of digging.

Old 05-10-06, 03:34 AM
Are you sure they are entering the basket from the suction pipe? Could they be coming from the seal under the strainer basket lid?

Old 05-10-06, 06:52 AM
i have heard the leak detection companies charge a lot. i have a hard time parting with my money if there are other options. especially when i read on-line from companies that specialize in training leak detectors that "they can charge a premium because your average homeowner thinks that the service they offer is very difficult".

regarding the air getting in from the cover, that is not the case. it is definitely entering the basket from the lines. i just don't know where in the lines.

what i might do, is cut out the gate valves and plumb the above-the-ground lines directly to the pump basket, that way, if there is still bubbles, it should be coming from somewhere down the line and not above the dirt line.

what do you think?

Old 05-10-06, 04:53 PM
At the point where the pipes from the skimmer and drain join is there a valve? One that you can turn off the drain or skimmer at will? It will suck air in around the shaft...

Gate valves? Did you put pressure type gate valves in the suction lines? Drop a little oil around the shaft and see if the oil is sucked into the line.