cracked pipes in hot tub

Old 05-10-06, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cracked pipes in hot tub

Hi all,

seems like this must have happened to someone, but I can't find the magic search terms...

Water froze in the piping of my hot tub when it was -15F. I foolishly had the circulator programmed to come on 10 minutes of each hour. Evidently it got too icy/slushy in 50 minutes for the pump to circulate. I drained it and waited for warmer weather.

I have at least one leak in the plastic piping. I'm wondering if I can get away with something like ABS cement on the cracks. If I can't, do I have to cut sections (including t-junctions, etc) out? Is there any way to chemically dissolve the previously glued together pieces so that I don't have to disturb the nozzles/jets in the tub itself?

Any advice, insight, or WAGs appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-06, 04:48 PM
Cut and replace... don't try and patch. Nothing you can buy will dissolve the glue so that you can re-glue it. If the pipe is split right up next to the jet then you will have to replace the jet. It's not that hard nor expensive.

Old 05-11-06, 01:35 PM
Thumbs up

On one side, the tub is old and could probably use some renovation, but on the other it's old and I probably don't want to sink a lot of dough into it.

Okay. Thanks for that. I didn't know if replacement of the jets and all was an expensive proposition.

Guess I'm off to shop...