alkalinity, pH, acid, and soda ash

Old 05-16-06, 08:50 PM
alkalinity, pH, acid, and soda ash

My alkalinity is a tad high. To bring it back down, I'm supposed to dump in muriatic acid. In turn, pH goes down. To compensate, I have to dump in soda ash to get the pH back up.

Isn't this self-defeating? or does alkalinity stay down after I add soda ash back in?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-06, 12:24 PM
what is a tad high?
Tot. alk is what controls ph.
is the ph high?
if so then you need to lower the ph to suit what ever type of sanitizer you use is needed, which will inturn lower TA.

Old 05-17-06, 05:46 PM
My alkalinity is approx 150ppm; pH is currently down around 6.8-ish. Inground gunite pool, 28K gallons.

Ideal alkalinity range is 100~120ppm for tri-chlor which is what I'm using. I've been dumping in soda-ash to keep the pH from dropping lower, and I've started to use di-chlor as shock to keep pH from dropping even faster!

anything wrong with this?
thanks!

Old 05-27-06, 02:34 PM
adjust the ph. and as far a dichlor, unless you are haveing a prolbem this is overkill, reg. granular chl. is sufficent.( 1lb. per 10,000 gal) shocked min. 1 time a week or as needed . with 1 tab/ stik per 10,000 gal in the skimmer adjust when needed , and NEVER, NEVER put GRANULAR CHLORINE IN THE SKIMMER where TABS/STIKS are used. either remove the basket or broadcast. MAKE SURE you keep a eye on the Cal.Hard. level, this is very importat in gunite pools, this will help prevent the walls and floor from pitting and becoming like 80 grit sandpaper.