Installing Gas Lines to New Pool Heater

Old 05-22-06, 06:03 PM
lantonel
Visiting Guest
Question Installing Gas Lines to New Pool Heater

Hi,

We just got a new above ground pool installed. It is there but the electrical and gas for the heater are not hooked up yet. We need to run the gas line from our home to the heater (about 20 feet) in Massachusetts, does anyone know about how much this will cost us? A friend of my husbands says about $700 which is almost as much as I paid for my heater! I guess in Mass. we need to use flexible piping???

Any input would be appreciated!

Lantonel

Old 05-22-06, 08:31 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't know about MAssachusets, but for what it's worth I did my own gas and electric hookups for the pump and heater. I burried my conduit for the electrical with a plan to get a heater later, so I rented a trench digger which was probably $50 or $70, pipe and fittings was probably $100-$150 outside (I had about a 75 foot run) then I hooked it up the next year for about another $80 in pipe, I did overkill on shutoff valves and put one where I tapped in to the supply in the basement, one at the house wall and one at the heater which was probably another $80, permits were probably $30 to $50...

So that puts the project around $450.

I had to replace the gas regulator where it comes into the house, but let's not count that because that's an expense you can avoid by having the gas company shut off the gas and turn it back on instead of doing it wrong yourself, the gas company should do that for free.

Old 06-02-06, 03:35 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The price is dependant on what's involved to tap in the existing line. If it's involved, $700 sounds about right (here in NY). If it's not too involved, $500 is more realistic.

One word of warning: Check with local code regarding placement of the pool heater and pump. I see too many times that they are placed right next to the pool. Per national electric code (NFPA 70), the pump and heater (along with any conections) must be at least five feet away from the pool. MA code can supercede national code. Check first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: