Above Ground Swimming Pool Help-Advise

Old 05-23-06, 11:15 AM
Above Ground Swimming Pool Help-Advise

#1 - I'm wondering if I should take this on myself?
#2 - I've been quoted about 1100.00 labor
#3 - There are a number of on-line suppliers (thinkin 25 g, beaded "J" liner this time with a "Gorilla" pad) are there bad suppliers and GREAT suppliers??
#4 IF I were to take it on, how many helpers should I have, and about how long, AND are there any tricks or problems to watch for???? it's a 1995 Oval 12X24 Doughboy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 06:41 AM
i used to install doughboy pool years ago, very quality product. you need to get the grade work (leveling of the land) done before you even attempt this. this can be costly $500 + then the install usally take 2-3 installers or so i would recommend 4 helpers. and a good day, have plenty (min 2) of cordless drill/drivers on hand .
enough white sand to layer the bottom 2"s thick and hopefully a cool day with little or no wind.
you will prolbably need a new liner so check before you begin.

Old 05-24-06, 09:44 AM
Like VC said use white sand or they sometimes call it play sand. Regular sand has bits of shells in it and will eat your liner in a year or sooner. If you can't get quality sand you can use vermiculite and the nearest pool supplier should sell it.

A cooler full of cold beverages will help out also.

Old 05-26-06, 09:00 AM
THANKS! Have you heard about how well the "Gorilla Pad" works? The "old" sand is still there (I'm replacing a worn liner).

Old 05-26-06, 10:08 AM
Sorry but I have no clue what a Gorrilla pad is.

Old 05-27-06, 05:27 AM
i think you are refering to the pad that goes between the walls and the liner. i have never heard of gorilla pad, however any poolwall padding is acceptable.

Old 05-27-06, 06:21 AM
nap
To all those interested, yo can find "gorilla pad" on this link:

http://www.amerimerc.com/pool_supply/pool_liners/bv_ag_pool-liner-acc.asp

This is not meant to recommend this site in particular (i.e. advertising), I just pulled it up in a google search.

I have never used it but is sounds like a great product. It isn't very expensive either. I'll bet most of the installers/users will simply tell you to just use the sand but I like this idea myself.

Old 05-27-06, 09:13 AM
It does sound good. The first installers used a "cove" around the edges, which formed a ridge, but the about 1 foot in all around the bottom, there developed another ridge, with a 1" (or so) "drop". THEN...all over the bottom (from hees, toes I guess) indentations. The pad is supposed to do away with this stuff.

IF the sand in there is OK, AND I use the pad, would I still need all the help in a D I Y project? If so, I may just hire the guy that wants 1100.00 labor and be certain it's done right. If this is high, it may be a supply and demand thing in our area. Pool guys are pretty rare here.

Old 05-27-06, 02:23 PM
i checked the GP out and it does sound good. i still recommend using the sand bottom along with the GP. you still need to maintain the covepad around the edge.