Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

white stuff messing up pool..any ideas what it is?

Old 06-03-06, 05:04 PM

the pool is covered by this tiny white stuff.. its not so small the skimmer cant pick it up but every day its dropping and just covers the pool in it... its not anything living so far as I can tell... Im spending 20-30 minutes a day picking the stuff up and im losing the battle.. when it drops to the bottom it makes something like a dirty substance, kinda reminds me of the stuff when you clean the bottom of your fish tanks.. and then algae is starting to kick in because of this mess..also as I was trimming the large 40 year old tree next to the pool it was on the branches... .. we did have 3 fairly large palm trees removed 3-4 months ago is this related?

our theories are

bird droppings from past years?
some sort of fungus on the tree?
any ideas suggestions on helping figure out what to do would be appreicated?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-06, 05:51 PM
Knowing what area you live might help, I get all kinds of fuzzies floating through the air and falling from the trees in the spring to early summer, but I'm in Michigan, and if you have palm trees then maybe you have different stuff around from me and I might not have too much helpful to add.

Old 06-04-06, 09:14 AM
Oh I live in Southern Ca

after I wrote the message yesterday I gave a tree trimming to the small tree right next to the pool and the leaves were just covered with this stuff... but the larger tree next to it seems ok no white stuff... the small tree is a evergreen ash tree... the leaves are looking kinda dried and dying im wondering maybe fungus type thing attacking it ??? for now I guess im just gonna chop the small one way back and see if that cures it but im still curious what those white things are...

ill try to get a picture of it later today... thanks for the reply!